Feb 27, 2010, 1:18 PM EDT
Kurt’ already broken down the questionable, yet slightly awesome ethics of Jason Kidd’s draw of a technical on Mike Woodson.
What we haven’t done is tell you that Kidd was a huge reason for the Mavs’ thriller win last night beyond the tech.
Kidd had a triple-double, which isn’t stunning, it was the 104th 3D of his career. But Kidd posted 19 points, 17 assists, 16 rebounds. There are only three players to post a 15-15-15. One is Kidd, who laid down a 21-16-16 back in ’96. The only other two? Magic Johnson and Larry Bird. Kidd and Magic are the only ones to get a triple-double with 17 assists.
Kidd hasn’t just turned back the hands of time, he’s actually improved significantly. He’s shooting the highest 3-point percentage of his career at 42% while making more per game than he ever has. Getting past numbers, Kidd has done a tremendous job in managing the Dallas offense. Gone are the uncertainties in the offense of the past two years. Kidd has been pushing relentlessly, and when the defense gets back, he resets the offense, only to whip a pass to a trailing Nowitzki for a pull-up auto-J, or to a slashing Marion or corner Terry.
The Mavs were a top Western team before the trade. With the additions they added, people speculated they’d become a title contender. Judging by the early results, if you’re a fan of the West, it’s time to start looking at Kidd as something to be concerned about come May.
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 6
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 23
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 16
- PBT Extra: No DeMarre Carroll leaves Hawks in tough spot 3
- PBT Extra: J.R. makes case for hot hand theory, is loved in Cleveland 7
- PBT Extra: Draft Lottery winners start with Lakers 24
- Stephen Curry, LeBron James unanimous choices, lead All-NBA First Team 24
- Rockets vs. Warriors Game 2: Five things to watch 8