Feb 27, 2010, 1:18 PM EDT
Kurt’ already broken down the questionable, yet slightly awesome ethics of Jason Kidd’s draw of a technical on Mike Woodson.
What we haven’t done is tell you that Kidd was a huge reason for the Mavs’ thriller win last night beyond the tech.
Kidd had a triple-double, which isn’t stunning, it was the 104th 3D of his career. But Kidd posted 19 points, 17 assists, 16 rebounds. There are only three players to post a 15-15-15. One is Kidd, who laid down a 21-16-16 back in ’96. The only other two? Magic Johnson and Larry Bird. Kidd and Magic are the only ones to get a triple-double with 17 assists.
Kidd hasn’t just turned back the hands of time, he’s actually improved significantly. He’s shooting the highest 3-point percentage of his career at 42% while making more per game than he ever has. Getting past numbers, Kidd has done a tremendous job in managing the Dallas offense. Gone are the uncertainties in the offense of the past two years. Kidd has been pushing relentlessly, and when the defense gets back, he resets the offense, only to whip a pass to a trailing Nowitzki for a pull-up auto-J, or to a slashing Marion or corner Terry.
The Mavs were a top Western team before the trade. With the additions they added, people speculated they’d become a title contender. Judging by the early results, if you’re a fan of the West, it’s time to start looking at Kidd as something to be concerned about come May.
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 5
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 16
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 14
- Report: Stan Van Gundy tells Josh Smith, barring unexpected trade, forward will start season with Pistons 7
- Mike Krzyzewski would trade Andrew Wiggins for Kevin Love with “not one second of hesitancy” 70
- Mario Chalmers: “I never thought anybody would want to leave Miami for Cleveland” 66
- Las Vegas Summer League review: How did Andrew Wiggins, other lottery picks fare? 14