Feb 27, 2010, 1:18 PM EDT
Kurt’ already broken down the questionable, yet slightly awesome ethics of Jason Kidd’s draw of a technical on Mike Woodson.
What we haven’t done is tell you that Kidd was a huge reason for the Mavs’ thriller win last night beyond the tech.
Kidd had a triple-double, which isn’t stunning, it was the 104th 3D of his career. But Kidd posted 19 points, 17 assists, 16 rebounds. There are only three players to post a 15-15-15. One is Kidd, who laid down a 21-16-16 back in ’96. The only other two? Magic Johnson and Larry Bird. Kidd and Magic are the only ones to get a triple-double with 17 assists.
Kidd hasn’t just turned back the hands of time, he’s actually improved significantly. He’s shooting the highest 3-point percentage of his career at 42% while making more per game than he ever has. Getting past numbers, Kidd has done a tremendous job in managing the Dallas offense. Gone are the uncertainties in the offense of the past two years. Kidd has been pushing relentlessly, and when the defense gets back, he resets the offense, only to whip a pass to a trailing Nowitzki for a pull-up auto-J, or to a slashing Marion or corner Terry.
The Mavs were a top Western team before the trade. With the additions they added, people speculated they’d become a title contender. Judging by the early results, if you’re a fan of the West, it’s time to start looking at Kidd as something to be concerned about come May.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 13
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 31