Feb 27, 2010, 1:18 PM EST
Kurt’ already broken down the questionable, yet slightly awesome ethics of Jason Kidd’s draw of a technical on Mike Woodson.
What we haven’t done is tell you that Kidd was a huge reason for the Mavs’ thriller win last night beyond the tech.
Kidd had a triple-double, which isn’t stunning, it was the 104th 3D of his career. But Kidd posted 19 points, 17 assists, 16 rebounds. There are only three players to post a 15-15-15. One is Kidd, who laid down a 21-16-16 back in ’96. The only other two? Magic Johnson and Larry Bird. Kidd and Magic are the only ones to get a triple-double with 17 assists.
Kidd hasn’t just turned back the hands of time, he’s actually improved significantly. He’s shooting the highest 3-point percentage of his career at 42% while making more per game than he ever has. Getting past numbers, Kidd has done a tremendous job in managing the Dallas offense. Gone are the uncertainties in the offense of the past two years. Kidd has been pushing relentlessly, and when the defense gets back, he resets the offense, only to whip a pass to a trailing Nowitzki for a pull-up auto-J, or to a slashing Marion or corner Terry.
The Mavs were a top Western team before the trade. With the additions they added, people speculated they’d become a title contender. Judging by the early results, if you’re a fan of the West, it’s time to start looking at Kidd as something to be concerned about come May.
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 10
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 6
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 24
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 30
- PBT Christmas Day preview: Late game between Clippers and Warriors will see league’s best rivalry renewed 1
- PBT Extra: Top 5 NBA stories of 2014 0