Feb 27, 2010, 2:54 PM EDT
It was all worth it.
You have to tell yourself that, Celtics fan or no. The offseason that brought Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett to Boston next to Paul Pierce was a success, because it brought a banner, and there’s nothing that can be done to refute that. The NBA’s ultimate prize is worth the cost, whatever it is.
But in the Boston Herald, Danny Ainge is quoted hinting that the time for the detonation of this Celtics’ core may be coming sooner than anticipated, and that the remainder of this season, just two and a half years removed from that great summer, will determine the short and long-term future of this group of players.
“I’m constantly thinking about that,” he said. “But I think what happens beyond this season will be based more on how this team performs from here on out than what’s happened to this point.
“I think we’ll know a lot more about this team over the next few months. All we can do now is speculate.”
And be ready to cut in widely divergent directions based on the findings.
“I’m prepared in either scenario,” Ainge said. “We’ll either add to this team or change it.
That sounds an awful lot like a GM debating whether or not to blow up the plan. The Celtics have a terrible record against the Eastern elite, and in the face of the disaster at home versus Cleveland, the whispers have become shouts that the time has past for this alignment, and that the Celtics need to look to the future.
Talented point guard Rajon Rondo is a considerable asset, but he’s never shown to excel outside of the comfy confines of the Big 3. It’s probable he’ll continue to be an All-Star, but it’s simply not certain yet. Kendrick Perkins is a serviceable, if limited, center, and Glen Davis can flail around a lot. Outside of that, the Celtics possess no long-term players they can depend on or build around.
It was all worth it.
But you have to wonder if there could be, or will be, more.
Please print this to laugh at when the Celtics go on some sick run and make the Finals.
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 4
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 19
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 12
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 31
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 10
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 25