Feb 26, 2010, 12:41 AM EDT
By the end of the 2008 playoffs, Tyson Chandler had firmly cemented himself as a sidekick to Chris Paul and one of the premier defensive centers in the league. He was young, athletic, an established part of a growing core on a hot young team, and making a boat load of money.
Then everything collapsed. Or, more accurately, Chandler’s knee, ankle, and foot did. He was limited to just 45 games last season before being traded to the Charlotte Bobcats over the summer, and he’s only played 28 out of a possible 56 games for the ‘Cats this season. To make matters worse, even the court time Chandler has seen over the past two years has been limited, and Tyson seems like a shade of his former self.
Luckily for Charlotte, Nazr Mohammed has stepped into the starting role at center and played the best basketball of his career. And unluckily for Charlotte, Nazr Mohammed is currently out of the lineup due to a back injury. Mohammed’s back-up, DeSagana Diop, is nursing a knee strain. The time has finally come for Chandler to shine once again, and the struggling Bobcats need him now more than ever.
So naturally, despite returning to action on February 9th after a month and a half of rest and rehab, Chandler is again on the shelf. He’s missed four straight due to lingering pain in his foot and ankle. According to Rick Bonnell of the Charlotte Observer, Tyson will head to the Big Apple to consult with the specialist that performed his surgery almost a year ago. It’s good news that Chandler is seeking professional care for his injury, but bad news that the state of his injury dictates it.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 58
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 12
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32