Feb 26, 2010, 9:59 AM EDT
It’s a disturbing analogy to think of Zydrunas Ilgauskas as the sexy woman at the bar everyone is trying to hit on (good luck getting that image out of your head). But it’s the truth. Teams are lining up to use their best pickup line on the veteran center after he was waived by the Wizards.
And everyone in the bar knows he’s going home with LeBron anyway.
The Mavericks have made their pitch to Big Z and his suddenly-popular agent Herb Rudoy. So have the Hawks. Also in the bidding will be Denver and the Utah Jazz (and maybe more, David Aldridge said on TNT last night seven teams may make a bid).
What do those first four teams have in common? They likely need another big man to make a serious title run (and match up with the Lakers/Celtics/Magic/Cavaliers). Denver coach George Karl keeps saying Denver is “about half a player short” of the Lakers. He and the other coaches look at the 7’3″ Big Z and see more than the half a player they need.
Doesn’t matter. Off the record everybody admits Ilgauskas is going back to Cleveland. That’s who drafted him and where he has played 13 years. That’s the city he calls home and where he is invested in the community. That’s the place the fans have an unnatural affinity for him.
That’s where Ilgauskas wants to win a title. And that’s the reason none o the other teams stand a chance.
- Dominant Pau Gasol shows he may be a perfect fit for Bulls 4
- Old tweets: Kevin Durant uses gay slurs (including at Russell Westbrook), Damian Lillard rips LeBron James 18
- Wednesday night’s NBA winners, losers: Chris Bosh wants you to know he is a No. 1 option 20
- Rajon Rondo leads Celtics to rout of Nets. How much does it mean? 8
- Bulls cruise to 24-point opening night win over Knicks 16
- Lakers’ rookie Julius Randle has surgery to repair fractured tibia, out for season 16
- Anthony Davis has zero chance of winning MVP this season 38
- Dwight Howard says he wants to move on from Kobe, Lakers. Actions show feud going strong. 49