Feb 26, 2010, 3:15 PM EDT
Vinny Del Negro has a French revolution’s worth of people calling for his head. But his star point guard Derrick Rose is not one of them, according to ESPNChicago.com.
“Oh definitely, if he comes back I’ll be happy,” Rose said on “The Waddle & Silvy Show” on ESPN 1000. “If not, that’s not really up to me, it’s up to the front office.
“He’s doing a good job with us, the coaching staff is doing a good job with us. He usually lets me go out there and play and lets me make the best of my mistakes. No matter what, he always tells me I’m doing a good job, and he’s always showing me video. I don’t have anything to complain about.”
Wait. “No matter what, he’s always telling me I’m doing a good job?” Well, that could be part of the problem. Tough love Vinny. Tough love.
Here’s what really should determine Del Negro returns: Do big time free agents want to play for him?
With Rose and Luol Deng, Taj Gibson, Joakim Noah and even Kirk Hinrich they have a great young core. If they can add a big time free agent — picture Chris Bosh as the inside to Rose’s outside — they are a suddenly a big threat in the East. But does Bosh or Dwyane Wade want to play for Del Negro? If no, then he has to go. Even if all the problems for the Bulls this season were not on his shoulders.
If the Bulls can’t lure a Bosh or Wade with Del Negro, they can always pull out the “we have Brad Miller” card. He’s never going to retire.
- Manu Ginobili tweets he’ll play next season 5
- Who is left: 15 best free agents still on the board 12
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 37
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 35
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 19
- Report: Lakers, Pacers reach deal to trade Roy Hibbert to LA 58
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 85
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 43