Feb 26, 2010, 3:15 PM EDT
Vinny Del Negro has a French revolution’s worth of people calling for his head. But his star point guard Derrick Rose is not one of them, according to ESPNChicago.com.
“Oh definitely, if he comes back I’ll be happy,” Rose said on “The Waddle & Silvy Show” on ESPN 1000. “If not, that’s not really up to me, it’s up to the front office.
“He’s doing a good job with us, the coaching staff is doing a good job with us. He usually lets me go out there and play and lets me make the best of my mistakes. No matter what, he always tells me I’m doing a good job, and he’s always showing me video. I don’t have anything to complain about.”
Wait. “No matter what, he’s always telling me I’m doing a good job?” Well, that could be part of the problem. Tough love Vinny. Tough love.
Here’s what really should determine Del Negro returns: Do big time free agents want to play for him?
With Rose and Luol Deng, Taj Gibson, Joakim Noah and even Kirk Hinrich they have a great young core. If they can add a big time free agent — picture Chris Bosh as the inside to Rose’s outside — they are a suddenly a big threat in the East. But does Bosh or Dwyane Wade want to play for Del Negro? If no, then he has to go. Even if all the problems for the Bulls this season were not on his shoulders.
If the Bulls can’t lure a Bosh or Wade with Del Negro, they can always pull out the “we have Brad Miller” card. He’s never going to retire.
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 7
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 21
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 54
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 25
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 22
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 8
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 47
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65