Feb 26, 2010, 9:37 AM EDT
In what could be the understatement of the year, Portland General Manager Kevin Pritchard said he wants to be “cautious” with the return of Greg Oden to the team.
Oden wants to be back for the playoffs — and Pritchard wants him to keep busting it in the weight room — so nobody is telling him no directly. But…
It’s a long shot at best. We’ve always been cautious with our guys. We’ll continue with that, especially with Greg. He’s pushing hard, as hard as I’ve ever seen him working. He sees a little carrot there, and I’m not going to tell him he can’t. But we’ll be very cautious.
So, basically you’re telling him he can’t? Right?
Clearly the Rose Garden is built over and Native American burial ground, one for a very tall tribe. How else do you explain every big man for the Blazers going down this year? Marcus Camby was able to stay relatively healthy with the Clippers then sprains his ankle with Portland. Something is going on here.
Who knows what, if anything, Portland will ever really get out of Greg Oden. But with so much invested they have to try, and they don’t need it to be this year (this team was built for down the line, not 2010). And for now that means being cautious, even though it takes Oden’s carrot away.
- Amar’e Stoudemire still thinks Knicks’ front court trio can work 8
- Report: Dwight Howard not going to Clippers… did we need a report for that? 9
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” 34
- Spurs shut down Zach Randolph in Western Conference Finals’ first major strategic move 2
- Report: Terrence Williams arrested in domestic violence case involving threats with a gun 8
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (95)
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (84)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Dickey goes 8, beats Rays for 2nd straight win
- PST: Mourinho officially leaving Real Madrid
- PHT: Stalberg returns to Hawks' lineup for Game 3
- PHT: Hawks look to boost intensity vs. Wings
- PFT: Brady says he's 'never felt better' throwing the ball
- PFT: Chad Johnson arrested for probation violation
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay