Lakers playoff tickets? It's going to cost you

Feb 26, 2010, 10:25 AM EDT

The Lakers have the most expensive regular season ticket prices in the NBA, and they sell out every night. Alan Greenspan would love it because it is simple supply and demand. — they can charge whatever they want because people will pay it.

And Lakers fans really want to see their team in the playoffs. So the team more than triples ticket prices in some areas.

Here’s how the costs break down.  Regular season prices where I sit in Section 316 are $28 per seat or $1,204 per seat for the entire season (43 games including 2 preseason games).  The postseason is 16 games at $1,460 which averages out to $91.25 or a 3.26 times the regular season cost.  THAT is sticker shock!… Every NBA team sends out playoff invoices in February. Even lottery-bound teams, with the premise that maybe, just maybe team X rallies late for a playoff spot. They know season ticket holders are willing to fork out the extra cash, because you never want to miss out on the excitement of a playoff run.  What do they do with the money paid for non-played games?  They bank it and earn interest while the money is “credited” toward next season.

Outrageous you say! Price gougers, you cry! How can they do that in this economy, you whine! Welcome to capitalism, baby.

The Lakers will still sell out every playoff game. Some fans will recoup costs by putting a few of their $90 seats up on StubHub and getting $250 for them. Los Angeles is a Lakers town. The city is obsessed with them. People want desperately to see them in the playoffs and will pay for the privilege. The demand for Lakers playoff tickets is insane. So the Lakers charge what they can for the seats. People will gladly pay it.

Sorry Memphis fans, that’s just the way it is.

1. Laker fan N brooklyn kid - Feb 26, 2010 at 11:44 AM

Simple solution,if you can’t afford the ticket don’t buy it, just like drugs and booze, if you can’t afford to pay for your high, don’t get high.I love the Yankees, before last year I paid $75.00
    dollars for the ticket that now sells for $150.00, I can’t pay that so I watch them play on TV, THE YES station, THAT IS MY REALITY.
    You want to watch the mamba, you have to pay a premium.
    Sorry.
    Kobe is wicked……….

2. bunbun - Feb 26, 2010 at 11:56 AM

Tobe Brynant et al aint worth it

3. Jim "Bob" - Feb 26, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Who wants to watch Kobe the #1 NBA thug except those lolipop fans from the left coast???

4. Jim - Feb 26, 2010 at 1:50 PM

The NBA is nothing but a bunch of thugs and I agree Kobe is the # 1 thug. LA is lala land because those that live there are lost in space

5. Da man - Feb 26, 2010 at 3:09 PM

If you ain’t an LA fan STFU – like everything else in the world, it cost. If you got it, spend it! If you don’t, OFW, watch it on TV but STFU with all that complaining and hating!

6. Bobthis - Feb 26, 2010 at 3:25 PM

What the Lakers are doing with the cost of tickets is NOTHING compared to what the scalpers like Barry’s Tickets are doing. These thieves ask $400 for a $50 ticket. They will mark up a ticket anywhere from 400% to 1500%. Total scum.

7. Anonymous - Feb 26, 2010 at 3:37 PM

i think Mr Jim here haven’t been to LA yet… :P

8. Anonymous - Feb 26, 2010 at 3:41 PM

i think Mr Jim here haven’t been to LA yet… :P
    but i agree, that price is too much just for one game especially if they’ll lose.. i don’t care though, coz im not a laker fan..
    LA…… its the place to be!! ;)

9. Anonymous - Feb 26, 2010 at 3:43 PM

:P
    LA…… its the place to be!! ;)

10. Magic - Feb 26, 2010 at 3:50 PM

Everybody hates a winner Jim”bob”. You’re an idiot. I’m a Midwest Basketball Fan. Kobe and the Lakers are now and will always be winners. Location (West Coast, East Coast), whatever doesn’t matter. There are “thugs” in every sport. Watch much NFL football lately?

11. Bobthis - Feb 26, 2010 at 4:48 PM

OK Jim try to stay with me on this one. When you paint your trailer it’s the brush that moves back and forth not the trailer.

12. WIZARD OF OZOLA - Feb 26, 2010 at 6:28 PM

HERE IN VANOCUVER, WE GOT THE RIGHT APPROACH, THE VANCOUVER OLYMPIC COMMITTEE IS THE OFFICIAL SCALPER, THEY GET 20 % FOR THE RIGHT TO RE-SELL YOUR TICKETS. AND DON’T FORGET THE 12 % SALES TAX WHICH IS THE BIG TIME RIPPOFF UP HERE IN THE RAIN FOREST. THE ONLY PEOPLE THAT WILL BE AT THE LAKERS HOME PLAYOFFGAME ARE THE RICH, THE FAMOUS, AND THE TRULY STUPID. MAKE THE PRESS MAGGOTS PAY TOO. WHEN THE FAKERS PLAY THE MAVRICKS, THEY CAN HOLD THE GAMES IN JERRY JONES’S NEW DIGS AND MAKE ENOUGH MONEY TO PAY OFF THE $ 25 BILLION DEFICIT THAT THE GEEKS AND FREAKS HAVE RUN UP IN EL STUPIDO LAND.UNLESS WE GET BLESSED AND THAT 8.5 EARTHQUAKE HITS LA.KOBE CAN TAKE HIS HELICOPTER RIDE STRAIGHT TO CLEVELAND AND STAY AT SHAQ’S DOGHOUSE.

13. Brian C - Feb 26, 2010 at 6:56 PM

JUst another reason I stopped being a fan of the NBA back in the early 90’s. I wouldn’t pay a nickel to watch anybody in the league today let alone pay three times that. If you do then one word for you……SUCKER!!!!!!

14. pb - Feb 26, 2010 at 7:02 PM

Calling NBA players thugs is sneaky form of racism in my opinion.
    What is a thug? A bullie or a gangster, right?
    He is viewing every single NBA player like Iverson or Arenas.
    That’s just being full of ignorance and hate.
    Kobe scored over 1100 on SAT’s and speaks Italian and Spanish fluently. There are several players with degrees from Ivy League schools and other top notch schools. Tim Duncan was lauded by his professors for being a sharp student.
    Don’t insult yourself with idiotic statements like that, Jim.
    Sometimes silence is golden. In your case, it’s probably that way all the time.

15. WmB - Feb 26, 2010 at 9:17 PM

All you crybabies should just clam up and watch from home if you can’t afford to pay for Kobe’s dinners. It’s called the free enterprise system.

16. Ronnie Y. Ryan - Feb 27, 2010 at 5:08 AM

I’m having problems with viewing your blog clearly via the most recent release of Opera. Looks fine in Explorer 7 and Firefox though.Have a wonderful day.

17. Alex U. Buckley - Feb 27, 2010 at 7:25 AM

I’m having problems with viewing your page layout through the most recent release of Opera. Looks good in IE6 and Firefox however.Hope you have a wonderful day.

18. Issac Maez - Mar 3, 2010 at 11:05 AM

great site loads of info, and it helped me a lot, so i thought i might aswell drop ac comment i like your work here, you can find me over at Bontrade so just drop me a pm if need be.

19. Issac Maez - Mar 3, 2010 at 11:08 AM

20. Tyson F. Gautreaux - Mar 3, 2010 at 11:11 AM

hey people just thought id drop a comment here i really liked the site and the infor was great just what i needed, i usually hang around bontraade forum which i find really usefull.

21. Matthew C. Kriner - Mar 3, 2010 at 11:16 AM

22. hydroxatone - Mar 4, 2010 at 1:24 PM

Can the world really deal with all this at once. It must be devine inetervention

23. be1j1ngk1ng - Mar 14, 2010 at 10:28 PM

how is kobe a thug? and iverson ain’t a thug.. he just dresses like a thug. there’s nothing wrong with the hip hop style. I’m a student at USC and I wear 59/50 caps and sean john jeans. Does that mean I’m a crip or a blood? No, it means I’m a business student who’s got a future.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches