Feb 26, 2010, 1:58 PM EST
Pig Miller played pretty much his entire career with a toothpick in his mouth, but suddenly Caron Butler’s straw chewing is a safety issue so big that the NBA league office needs to weigh in. Sure it is.
“I mean I am a little bitter about it. I have been doing it for eight years ever since I have been in the NBA but rules is rules and it is what it is so I am going to go back to my Mountain Dew.”
Rome then asked everyone’s first question: Why were you chewing straws in the first place? You know they invented gum, right?
“I mean I just always used to chew stuff because, one, it was traditional and another thing it just had me at ease out there. It was something that I did. A lot of people chew gum when they are playing basketball. I just always chewed my straws.”
No word yet on what his replacement chew toy will be.
The whole thing is silly — Butler has always chewed straws in the NBA. Why notice and crack down now? Clearly, the spies that David Stern has following Mark Cuban around looking for infractions were having a slow day and turned their eyes to Butler and his outlaw straws.
Hey, Stern: You may like the NFL’s economic model, but the fans don’t like the No Fun League part of it. Don’t be bringing that to the NBA.
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 15
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 9
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 2
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 21
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 16
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (42)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)