Feb 26, 2010, 8:53 AM EDT
You remember Blake Griffin, the guy who was going to be the runaway rookie of the year? Top overall pick by the Clippers? Built like a tank? Guy who screwed up his knee landing from a dunk?
He had surgery last month and told Chris Tomasson of FanHouse he should be back working out fully again by May. So he should be ready to impress everybody at Summer League again, which so far has been the highlight of his NBA career.
When Griffin underwent surgery, the Clippers projected he would be out four to six months. Although Griffin later said he didn’t know it will be May for sure and Clippers coach Kim Hughes said “June would be more realistic,” it at least shows the possibility of Griffin being in good shape when the Clippers draft again in the lottery.
“I’m doing rehab and trying to get back and get ready to take that first step,” Griffin said. “We’re kind of taking it week by week. There’s no reason to rush. It’s not like I have to be back at a certain point. I’ll have all summer to work out.”
It’s easy to just make some jokes here, I mean this is the Clippers, so you can assume that Griffin is getting the same motivational speeches as Baron Davis. But Griffin comes off as a genuinely good person, down to earth, hard worker, the kind of guy you want to see make it. In team scrimmages during training camp, Griffin already looked like the best player the Clippers had. The injury didn’t come off contact, just a freakish little thing from landing wrong after throwing it down hard.
Next year Griffin will be back on the court, and fans everywhere will go “Oh yea, that’s why he was drafted first overall. Wonder how long he’ll have to stay with the Clippers?”
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 0
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 12
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14