Feb 26, 2010, 8:53 AM EST
You remember Blake Griffin, the guy who was going to be the runaway rookie of the year? Top overall pick by the Clippers? Built like a tank? Guy who screwed up his knee landing from a dunk?
He had surgery last month and told Chris Tomasson of FanHouse he should be back working out fully again by May. So he should be ready to impress everybody at Summer League again, which so far has been the highlight of his NBA career.
When Griffin underwent surgery, the Clippers projected he would be out four to six months. Although Griffin later said he didn’t know it will be May for sure and Clippers coach Kim Hughes said “June would be more realistic,” it at least shows the possibility of Griffin being in good shape when the Clippers draft again in the lottery.
“I’m doing rehab and trying to get back and get ready to take that first step,” Griffin said. “We’re kind of taking it week by week. There’s no reason to rush. It’s not like I have to be back at a certain point. I’ll have all summer to work out.”
It’s easy to just make some jokes here, I mean this is the Clippers, so you can assume that Griffin is getting the same motivational speeches as Baron Davis. But Griffin comes off as a genuinely good person, down to earth, hard worker, the kind of guy you want to see make it. In team scrimmages during training camp, Griffin already looked like the best player the Clippers had. The injury didn’t come off contact, just a freakish little thing from landing wrong after throwing it down hard.
Next year Griffin will be back on the court, and fans everywhere will go “Oh yea, that’s why he was drafted first overall. Wonder how long he’ll have to stay with the Clippers?”
- Heat come from 15 down to even season series with Pacers 19
- Report: At the moment, Lakers no longer considering trading Pau gasol 10
- PBT Extra: Damian Lillard or Kyrie Irving? Plus coaching hot seat talk. 6
- Report: Celtics may be frontrunners for Asik; would move Bass, Lee, pick 6
- Tyson Chandler returns to Knicks lineup Wednesday night 5
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (105)
- Report: Heat have interest in Celtics’ Jordan Crawford (50)
- Pau Gasol expresses frustration with D’Antoni offense. Lakers have to think trade. (49)
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns (48)
- Mike D’Antoni to Pau Gasol: “There’s no reason to not play hard” (48)