Feb 25, 2010, 10:33 AM EST
UPDATE 10:32 am: It is now official, according to Cavaliers beat writer Brian Windhorst’s twitter account (and he’s pretty much right about all things Cleveland). Ilgauskas has been bought out of his contract.
Let the bidding games begin.
12:07 am: Sorry if you bought that Zydrunas Ilgauskas Wizards jersey, but think of it as a collectors item.
To the surprise of absolutely nobody — rural Taiwanese rice farmers knew this was coming — Ilgauskas and the Wizards have agreed to a buyout. The Washington Post’s Michael Lee had it first on twitter. The paperwork will be filed tomorrow morning, and the terms are not yet public, but the two sides have reached a deal.
Now comes the interesting part. Or the charade, if you’re so inclined. Big Z and his agent are going to listen offers from teams, then make a decision by the end of the weekend on where the unrestricted free agent will play. Dallas will make a bid, as will Denver, and maybe Atlanta. All teams on the edge of contending for a title, with Ilgauskas able to maybe put them over the top.
Then he’s going back to Cleveland. Everyone knows it. There didn’t need to be some pre-arranged deal. He has spent his whole career in Cleveland, he is active in the community, that is his home. He wants to be there. And it would be a shock if he went anywhere else.
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 1
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 1
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 20
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 13
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 24
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (39)