Pistons ban Nike Hyperize

Feb 25, 2010, 5:39 PM EDT

Can a basketball shoe be too light?

Turns out yes, at least according to Arnie Kander, the Pistons strength and conditioning coach for the past 18 years (via Ball Don’t Lie). After a string of ankle and foot problems with Pistons players. He told the Detroit Free Press about the problem but was too kind to name the problem shoes.

We’re not so kind — it’s the Nike Hyperize.

“I’m not going to name the brand of shoe it was, but it has been banned from our locker room and the guys aren’t allowed to wear it,” Kander said. “These shoes had taken most of the support out of the sides and it was a lighter shoe. Most basketball shoes weigh between 1.4 and 1.7 pounds.

“These shoes were weighing 0.8 pounds, which was way too light as far as side support. Since we’ve banned the shoe, knock on wood, we haven’t had any ankle sprains. Hopefully, the good Lord willing, we won’t have any more and we can finish the season healthy and see what these guys can really do.”

Rip Hamilton stopped, his ankle got better. Same with Ben Gordon. Third year player Will Bynum new better than the nearly two decades of experience for Kander, so he kept wearing them. Until he hurt his ankle again. Then he stopped.

Piston players are not alone — three of four Orlando players (Rashard Lewis, Brandon Bass and Ryan Anderson) have moved away from the Hyperize, according to Ben Q. Rock of Orlando Pinstriped Post). It is a league wide trend.

Watch out for the Nike marketing counter campaign in 3…2…1…

1. 3pthook - Apr 6, 2010 at 11:53 AM

I am a casual b-baller who bought a pair of Hyperize b-ball shoes in late December — and twisted my left ankle the third time I wore them. I had not had an ankle injury in about 15 years. I stopped wearing them but tried them again in mid-February. Second time out my left achilles became extremely sore after playing just two games. It has hurt ever since. I went to a Sports Clinic. They think the poor side support overworked the tendon. Unfortunately, the pain is still here as of April 6. I talked to another player who also had an ankle injury the first week he wore his Hyperizes. I am very disappointed in Nike as I have been wearing Nike Airs since they were introduced in the early 1980s. I am surprised Nike does not recall the shoes before a lawyer proposes a class-action lawsuit. I guess even Nike misshoots occasionally.

2. nike air jordan - May 11, 2010 at 3:03 AM

Nike Air yeezy

3. Feoai - May 13, 2010 at 4:00 AM

kobe shoes 2010 committed to offering a truly outstanding selection of the hottest styles from Nike basketball shoes.

4. youromom - Jun 14, 2010 at 11:04 PM

lmfao waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait up, maybe it’s just some peoples ankles that are like that….I’ve had hyperize for 3 months now, and im looking to buy a new one! It depends on you, not the completly the shoe!

5. lamont - Jul 26, 2010 at 2:22 AM

I totally disagree I had a pair of buddies I brought from payless and never have an ankle problem and when I brought the hyperize I sprained my ankle within a month of playing. So far I sprained my right ankle 3 times and for the first time in playing sports I just sprained my left ankle wearing these shoes. I’m burning these shoes tomorrow

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches