Feb 25, 2010, 11:44 AM EDT
Clippers owner Donald Sterling does care about winning. He does. Not more than he cares about profit, but he does care about winning.
And like any good head of a company, it’s his job to motivate his employees. Push their buttons to get them to do their best. Like this exchange heard between Sterling and Baron Davis on the court before the Clippers win over the Pistons Wednesday, as overheard by Vincent Bonsignore of the Los Angeles Daily News. (Via Clipperblog)
“Baron, I need you to make sure it comes together,” Sterling told him, in no uncertain terms.
“Yes sir. And I believe it will,” Davis reiterated.
“Look, I’m a man who makes things happen, and I need you to make this happen,” Sterling said… “You know what would make me smile?” Sterling said. “You scoring 20 points tonight. That would make me smile.”
“Then I’ll make you smile,” Davis promised.
“The thing is, I don’t need you taking 60 shots to do it,” Sterling warned.
For the record, Davis had 10 points of 4 of 10 shooting, but he added seven assists and the Clippers won so everybody went home happy. Thanks to Donald Sterling and his master motivating techniques.
- Bugs Bunny teases the Jordan XXX in interview with Ahmad Rashad (VIDEO) 1
- Report: LeBron James calls the plays, Cavaliers coach David Blatt repeats them to team 50
- Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC 15
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 20
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13