Feb 25, 2010, 11:44 AM EDT
Clippers owner Donald Sterling does care about winning. He does. Not more than he cares about profit, but he does care about winning.
And like any good head of a company, it’s his job to motivate his employees. Push their buttons to get them to do their best. Like this exchange heard between Sterling and Baron Davis on the court before the Clippers win over the Pistons Wednesday, as overheard by Vincent Bonsignore of the Los Angeles Daily News. (Via Clipperblog)
“Baron, I need you to make sure it comes together,” Sterling told him, in no uncertain terms.
“Yes sir. And I believe it will,” Davis reiterated.
“Look, I’m a man who makes things happen, and I need you to make this happen,” Sterling said… “You know what would make me smile?” Sterling said. “You scoring 20 points tonight. That would make me smile.”
“Then I’ll make you smile,” Davis promised.
“The thing is, I don’t need you taking 60 shots to do it,” Sterling warned.
For the record, Davis had 10 points of 4 of 10 shooting, but he added seven assists and the Clippers won so everybody went home happy. Thanks to Donald Sterling and his master motivating techniques.
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 26
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 35
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25