Butler's straw chewing banned

Feb 25, 2010, 12:08 PM EDT

butler.jpgUPDATE 12:08 pm: The NBA’s official explanation is that it is a “safety issue” (via FanHouse). Butler can chew straws on the bench, but not during game play. Because it’s all fun and games until somebody loses an eye.

9:25 am: Before and during games, Caron Butler had a habit of chewing straws. Goes through about a dozen a game on average. Plastic straws. We don’t get it either, but it’s his thing, and as things go it’s pretty harmless. Other teammates (including Dirk Nowitzki) were joining in the fun in warm-ups the other night.

But now David Stern and the league office have banned the harmless habit.

The questions are why, and why now? This is Butler’s 12th year in the league and he has been chewing straws for a long, long time. This is not some new trend. And it’s not like Butler is just now coming to prominence. It was fine for Butler to chew straws when he was an All-Star. It was fine when he played alongside Kobe Bryant. But now it’s a problem?

The league office couldn’t be bothered to put out a statement yesterday on the new blood tests testing for Human Growth Hormone — both the NFL and MLB were all over this with top league officials speaking on the issue — but they have the time to ban straw chewing?

1. laker fan in brooklyn - Feb 25, 2010 at 11:26 AM

N – B – A
    o u l
    l l
    l o
    s w
    h e
    e d
    e
    t

2. A. - Feb 25, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Can’t be his 12th year. He came in with Amare. Amare is not a 12 year vet. Drafted in ’02.

3. Paul in KY - Feb 25, 2010 at 12:28 PM

I can’t believe they let him get away with it for so long. It is a safety issue.
    As an opposing player, I would have complained just to try & mess with his game (if he was really hot in a particular game I was in).

4. Brent - Feb 25, 2010 at 1:06 PM

Thats funny I chew on straws all the time as well. Thought I was the only one.

5. Drew - Feb 25, 2010 at 1:48 PM

While the NBA is at it shouldnt they also ban Gerald Wallace’s mouth piece? That thing is never in his mouth. He uses it for the same purpose as Butler… hanging out of his mouth chewing on it.
    Oh… and of course… GO JAZZ!!

6. Frank - Feb 25, 2010 at 3:04 PM

He can chew on anything he wants, Im just glad he’s not a Laker anymore. Im sure Im not the only one with this opinion.

7. Paul - Feb 25, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Of course it’s a problem now — because now he plays for Mark Cuban and the Dallas Mavericks. David Stern hates Mark Cuban. He has, and will, do ANYTHING IN HIS POWER to make life more difficult for him because he wants him out of the NBA. Stern would rather give birth to a kitten in the middle of Madison Square Garden on live television than hand Mark Cuban the championship trophy (he all but ordered the refs to give D-Wade a free pass in the finals after the Mavs won the first two games a few years ago). This is about a show of power, plain and simple.

8. JOHNNY - Feb 25, 2010 at 3:10 PM

Almost as important as guns in the locker room. If he is on the bench how is anyone else in harms way.

9. Kathie - Feb 25, 2010 at 3:46 PM

And I heard that they HAVE to be McDonald’s straws. Odd.

10. talis4 - Feb 25, 2010 at 4:10 PM

David Stern is the biggest a hole in the history of the nba. Since the controversy regarding the Patrick Ewing pick, it has been pretty apparent that stern’s only interest is in promoting the big city/big name athletes. He stuck it to the Celts in the eighties and nineties (re: Bias and Lewis). He buried the referee/fixed games scandal. His response is to fine anyone who criticises the officials. He is the worst commissioner in the history of organized sport.

11. Drewishom0 - Feb 25, 2010 at 5:52 PM

Drew shut your pie hole about G dubb, don’t get happy that the jazz one game against the cats. Kyle Korver bailed your team out by heating 4 consecutive keys. Speaking of that game in general, you were also bailed out by the refs, that were making calls not so dissimilar from the years of the rigged games. The ref made three bad calls in a row on tyrus thomas, which also helped the jazz when.
    It’s fine though, i’m not worried about the jazz because you guys like to choke in the playoffs anyways.
    Regardless of that comment, stern is the worst comissioner in sports. He obviously was involved in the fixed games/ref incident and thats why he hushed it up and threw it under the rug. If you didn’t notice a few years ago the NBA wasn’t doing so well, so the comiss’ put into a plan of rigging games. There is an obvious commitment to keep the lakers in power…

12. JCDallas - Feb 26, 2010 at 3:34 AM

Wow, don’t know what to say first… probably the least important thing…
    Word around Dallas is, it’s Burger King straws CB prefers.
    Second, I bookmarked this website on the advice of Mike Florio from profootballtalk.com. I have seen some news items that I haven’t seen elsewhere, but damn, you guys need a proofreader. Butler’s a twelve year vet??? Between this and other bits of misinformation and the many misspellings on your site, I’m primed to go back to my old hoops websites. I’m still willing to give you guys a chance, but with this new audience, please clean it up.
    If you need any help, I was the sports editor of the Plano East “Panther Prints,” in 1994. My sports page was never this sloppy, even though I had no internet at my disposal. Seriously, I would be glad to help.

13. Omega in Colorado - Feb 26, 2010 at 12:44 PM

Friends don’t let friends chew on straws.
    This has been a PSA from the Perpetually Confused NBA Fans of the World.

14. T in MT - Mar 4, 2010 at 1:44 AM

So there are three of us that chew on straws! I cut mine in little pieces and they cannot be McD straws because the stripes peel off…not sure about Burger King straws as I’ve never had one.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches