Feb 24, 2010, 3:11 AM EDT
UPDATE 2/24 3:55 am: According to ESPN’s Marc Stein, the Mavs worked out Jones only to say “Thanks, but no thanks.” Dallas could sign training camper Jake Voskuhl in Jones’ place, as the Mavs continue to look for depth at center while Erick Dampier sits due to injury.
2/23 3:15 pm: With Erick Dampier out the Mavericks need a little size up front, so they are going after one of the D-League’s top rebounders.
Dwayne Jones is getting an audition and a 10-day contract with Dallas. If that name sounds a little familiar, he is the 6’11” center out of St. Josephs who has had stints in Boston, Cleveland and Charlotte.
Jones has been tearing up the D-League this year for the Austin Toros. He’s coming to the Mavericks to defend and rebound, and he has averaged 15.4 rebounds per game. He’s not known for his offensive game, but he has been a force at the D-League level, scoring 16 a game on 61 percent shooting. But any points Dallas gets out of him will be simply gravy, they need the rebounds off the bench behind Brendan Haywood.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Number shows Matthew Dellavedova’s defensive value 2
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 27
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 22
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 17
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 15