Feb 24, 2010, 3:11 AM EST
UPDATE 2/24 3:55 am: According to ESPN’s Marc Stein, the Mavs worked out Jones only to say “Thanks, but no thanks.” Dallas could sign training camper Jake Voskuhl in Jones’ place, as the Mavs continue to look for depth at center while Erick Dampier sits due to injury.
2/23 3:15 pm: With Erick Dampier out the Mavericks need a little size up front, so they are going after one of the D-League’s top rebounders.
Dwayne Jones is getting an audition and a 10-day contract with Dallas. If that name sounds a little familiar, he is the 6’11” center out of St. Josephs who has had stints in Boston, Cleveland and Charlotte.
Jones has been tearing up the D-League this year for the Austin Toros. He’s coming to the Mavericks to defend and rebound, and he has averaged 15.4 rebounds per game. He’s not known for his offensive game, but he has been a force at the D-League level, scoring 16 a game on 61 percent shooting. But any points Dallas gets out of him will be simply gravy, they need the rebounds off the bench behind Brendan Haywood.
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 10
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 6
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 24
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 30
- PBT Christmas Day preview: Late game between Clippers and Warriors will see league’s best rivalry renewed 1
- PBT Extra: Top 5 NBA stories of 2014 0