Feb 24, 2010, 3:11 AM EDT
UPDATE 2/24 3:55 am: According to ESPN’s Marc Stein, the Mavs worked out Jones only to say “Thanks, but no thanks.” Dallas could sign training camper Jake Voskuhl in Jones’ place, as the Mavs continue to look for depth at center while Erick Dampier sits due to injury.
2/23 3:15 pm: With Erick Dampier out the Mavericks need a little size up front, so they are going after one of the D-League’s top rebounders.
Dwayne Jones is getting an audition and a 10-day contract with Dallas. If that name sounds a little familiar, he is the 6’11″ center out of St. Josephs who has had stints in Boston, Cleveland and Charlotte.
Jones has been tearing up the D-League this year for the Austin Toros. He’s coming to the Mavericks to defend and rebound, and he has averaged 15.4 rebounds per game. He’s not known for his offensive game, but he has been a force at the D-League level, scoring 16 a game on 61 percent shooting. But any points Dallas gets out of him will be simply gravy, they need the rebounds off the bench behind Brendan Haywood.
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 29
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 19
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 14
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 52
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 61
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 91
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 20