Feb 24, 2010, 3:11 AM EST
UPDATE 2/24 3:55 am: According to ESPN’s Marc Stein, the Mavs worked out Jones only to say “Thanks, but no thanks.” Dallas could sign training camper Jake Voskuhl in Jones’ place, as the Mavs continue to look for depth at center while Erick Dampier sits due to injury.
2/23 3:15 pm: With Erick Dampier out the Mavericks need a little size up front, so they are going after one of the D-League’s top rebounders.
Dwayne Jones is getting an audition and a 10-day contract with Dallas. If that name sounds a little familiar, he is the 6’11” center out of St. Josephs who has had stints in Boston, Cleveland and Charlotte.
Jones has been tearing up the D-League this year for the Austin Toros. He’s coming to the Mavericks to defend and rebound, and he has averaged 15.4 rebounds per game. He’s not known for his offensive game, but he has been a force at the D-League level, scoring 16 a game on 61 percent shooting. But any points Dallas gets out of him will be simply gravy, they need the rebounds off the bench behind Brendan Haywood.
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 13
- Former All-Star, popular Knick Anthony Mason dies at age 48 10
- Russell Westbrook posts third straight triple-double, Thunder lose anyway 6
- Shane Battier: ‘I think a 60-game season would be perfect’ 15
- Kyrie Irving has strained left shoulder, out Friday vs. Pacers 0
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29