Feb 24, 2010, 1:36 PM EDT
If you don’t have anything positive to say about the Charlotte Bobcats this season, then…well, you haven’t been watching enough Bobcats basketball this season. But if nothing else, you could at least call them charitable. After taking on shoot-first journeyman Flip Murray, the mercurial Stephen Jackson (and his mammoth salary), and most recently the impressively stubborn Tyrus Thomas, the Cats could look to be adding the recently waived Larry Hughes into the mix according to Rick Bonnell of the Charlotte Observer.
As of today, the only guards on the roster are Raymond Felton, D.J. Augustin, Stephen Jackson, Gerald Henderson, and Joey Graham. But Jackson is needed at small forward at times, Larry Brown clearly does not trust Gerald Henderson yet, and Stephen Graham is Stephen Graham. Then again, Larry Hughes is Larry Hughes, and at this point his reputation clearly precedes him (as evidenced by the famous heylarryhughespleasestoptakingsomanybadshots.com).
If Charlotte is indeed looking to sign another guard, wouldn’t they be better off looking to either a younger prospect or another potential buyout? Rashad McCants is just as capable of jacking up shots as Hughes, and has historically hit a significantly greater percentage of his shots. McCants is obviously far from an ideal prospect, but he’s still young (25), can stretch the floor, and his primary contributions come an area where the Bobcats badly need help (scoring). If not McCants, then why not D-League standout Morris Almond? Hughes may be more of a name, but even that’s been sullied at this point. Charlotte can do far better than relying on Larry Hughes as a stabilizing force off the bench.
- Tony Parker, Spurs penetration is puzzle Grizzlies can’t solve 1
- Spurs take commanding 3-0 lead over Grizzlies with overtime win in Game 3 6
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 35
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 22
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PBT: Spurs rally to beat Grizzlies in OT, take 3-0 lead
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile