Feb 24, 2010, 1:36 PM EDT
If you don’t have anything positive to say about the Charlotte Bobcats this season, then…well, you haven’t been watching enough Bobcats basketball this season. But if nothing else, you could at least call them charitable. After taking on shoot-first journeyman Flip Murray, the mercurial Stephen Jackson (and his mammoth salary), and most recently the impressively stubborn Tyrus Thomas, the Cats could look to be adding the recently waived Larry Hughes into the mix according to Rick Bonnell of the Charlotte Observer.
As of today, the only guards on the roster are Raymond Felton, D.J. Augustin, Stephen Jackson, Gerald Henderson, and Joey Graham. But Jackson is needed at small forward at times, Larry Brown clearly does not trust Gerald Henderson yet, and Stephen Graham is Stephen Graham. Then again, Larry Hughes is Larry Hughes, and at this point his reputation clearly precedes him (as evidenced by the famous heylarryhughespleasestoptakingsomanybadshots.com).
If Charlotte is indeed looking to sign another guard, wouldn’t they be better off looking to either a younger prospect or another potential buyout? Rashad McCants is just as capable of jacking up shots as Hughes, and has historically hit a significantly greater percentage of his shots. McCants is obviously far from an ideal prospect, but he’s still young (25), can stretch the floor, and his primary contributions come an area where the Bobcats badly need help (scoring). If not McCants, then why not D-League standout Morris Almond? Hughes may be more of a name, but even that’s been sullied at this point. Charlotte can do far better than relying on Larry Hughes as a stabilizing force off the bench.
- Report: Michael Beasley reaches agreement with Memphis Grizzlies 0
- Report: NBA not actively investigating source of Luol Deng African comment 4
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Indiana Pacers 2
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 19
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 18
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 16
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 14