Feb 24, 2010, 1:36 PM EDT
If you don’t have anything positive to say about the Charlotte Bobcats this season, then…well, you haven’t been watching enough Bobcats basketball this season. But if nothing else, you could at least call them charitable. After taking on shoot-first journeyman Flip Murray, the mercurial Stephen Jackson (and his mammoth salary), and most recently the impressively stubborn Tyrus Thomas, the Cats could look to be adding the recently waived Larry Hughes into the mix according to Rick Bonnell of the Charlotte Observer.
As of today, the only guards on the roster are Raymond Felton, D.J. Augustin, Stephen Jackson, Gerald Henderson, and Joey Graham. But Jackson is needed at small forward at times, Larry Brown clearly does not trust Gerald Henderson yet, and Stephen Graham is Stephen Graham. Then again, Larry Hughes is Larry Hughes, and at this point his reputation clearly precedes him (as evidenced by the famous heylarryhughespleasestoptakingsomanybadshots.com).
If Charlotte is indeed looking to sign another guard, wouldn’t they be better off looking to either a younger prospect or another potential buyout? Rashad McCants is just as capable of jacking up shots as Hughes, and has historically hit a significantly greater percentage of his shots. McCants is obviously far from an ideal prospect, but he’s still young (25), can stretch the floor, and his primary contributions come an area where the Bobcats badly need help (scoring). If not McCants, then why not D-League standout Morris Almond? Hughes may be more of a name, but even that’s been sullied at this point. Charlotte can do far better than relying on Larry Hughes as a stabilizing force off the bench.
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 11
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 17
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 29
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 9
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 24
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 23
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2