J.R. Smith decides to taunt Kobe

Feb 24, 2010, 12:48 PM EDT

nba_smith.jpgIt takes a certain confidence for an opposing player to snipe at the indisputable Western Conference favorite Los Angeles Lakers, and something between arrogance and complete stupidity for an opposing player to take a shot at Kobe Bryant. If that’s not a cue for the Nuggets’ J.R. Smith, then I don’t know what is. Here’s what Smith had to say about Kobe on Twitter (via the OC Register):

“Dont get me wrong kobe is great but not when he play me”

Not only is Kobe one of the best players in the league, but he’s competitive beyond belief and just about the last guy on the planet that you’d want to give bulletin board material to. Considering the Nuggets and Lakers could very well have a date in the Western Conference Finals, I wouldn’t say it’s the smartest thing in the world to give Bryant extra motivation…especially considering Smith’s fleeting interest in defense.

And for the record, Kobe is averaging 26 points (46.2% FG, 45.5% 3FG), six rebounds, and an assist against Denver. That’s technically a notch below his season averages of 28.0 points (46.5% FG, 35.5% 3FG), 5.4 rebounds, and 4.7 assists per game, though Bryant is averaging three less shot attempts per game against the Nuggets.

The two teams — plus Smith and Bryant — meet in a nationally televised game Sunday.

1. Yusuf - Feb 24, 2010 at 1:30 PM

Jr sure has a bad memory.. Kobe has 3 40pt games in the past 2 playoffs against Denver.

2. jshark - Feb 24, 2010 at 1:31 PM

Child Please!!!!!!!!

3. Cheese - Feb 24, 2010 at 1:39 PM

I guess Mr. Smith must have forgot what happens when you agitate a Black Mamba….u get bitten. Not only did Kobe come back from injury and have a good game, but he remembered what JR said and hit the game winning shot!! So maybe JR showed log back onto twitter and apologize to his team for making Kobe go off on them. If I was Coach Karl, I’d make him sit the next time the two teams meet!

4. Suga Shane - Feb 24, 2010 at 1:46 PM

Don’t forget to mention what JR said right before that. I believe it was something to the tune of “I won’t like, Kobe is the best”

5. apollo - Feb 24, 2010 at 1:47 PM

he wnts to be recognize cheap trick

6. Harry Ball - Feb 24, 2010 at 2:04 PM

“I guess Mr. Smith must have forgot what happens when you agitate a Black Mamba….u get bitten.”
    That had to be one of the gayest things I’ve read in a long time. It amazes me how many people’s breath smell like Kobe’s nutsack. Grown men swinging from another grown man’s balls. It’s hilarious and downright childish.

7. brooklyn kid N Laker fan - Feb 24, 2010 at 2:05 PM

JR, Thanks for the motivation not that Kobe would need it, but hey his #’s are a bit off against da Nugz and you defeated him twice so he will need to be in peak form.Mamba looked awesome last night, ready to peak at playoff time, he looks well rested and ready to defend what they have.LeBron, have you seen my 5 championship Rings, please help me look for them, I wish I had one to show you what to look for……..

8. milt marvelous - Feb 24, 2010 at 2:05 PM

Dumbass….that’s what jr smith is….don’t let those wack ass tatoos fool you…kobe is the best thing the league has…
    Some guys just be bored….

9. Rico - Feb 24, 2010 at 2:06 PM

JR Smith… Who?

10. H25 - Feb 24, 2010 at 2:07 PM

11. GODFATHER69 - Feb 24, 2010 at 2:19 PM

Remember the Kobe Stopper????? That didn’t turn out to well. Now JR Smith is making the same mistake. Thanks for the motivation JR, will look forward to whoopin your a$$ come playoff time. (562)

12. J.Asbury - Feb 24, 2010 at 2:24 PM

kobe`s a chump

13. Sparklemahn - Feb 24, 2010 at 2:28 PM

JR Smith is a New Yawk A$$HOLE! He is not a champion. He is not even that good, although he thinks he is. JR Smith is a big mouth, loser, and nothing more. Kobe will kick his A$$ next time they meet. JR Smith represents the new breed of trash talking trash that have an inferiority complex based on never winning a championship.

14. Larry Jo - Feb 24, 2010 at 2:31 PM

“black mamba” is a rapist and doesn’t care about all his lala fans.

15. Sparklemahn - Feb 24, 2010 at 2:31 PM

Carmelo Anthony is a champion, however, and it is just a matter of time before his team comes out on top. No thanks to chumps like JR Smith however. Denver might just represent the West in the NBA championships this season.

16. Sparklemahn - Feb 24, 2010 at 2:33 PM

17. Anonymous - Feb 24, 2010 at 2:37 PM

THEY DON’T HAVE ANY TEETH AND THEY SMILE, THAT IS NOT TOO SMART.

18. Gil Meriken - Feb 24, 2010 at 2:39 PM

“H25: Until basketball players can come close to speaking grammatically correct I will watch hockey.”
    Yes, because all those hockey players speak so close to grammatically correct English.

19. Anonymous - Feb 24, 2010 at 2:39 PM

ANDA FOUR TIME CHAMP TOO…………

20. Anonymous - Feb 24, 2010 at 2:42 PM

YEAH, A COLLEGE CHAMPION, KOBE IS NOT A COLLEGE PLAYER
    OR PLAYING IN THE NCAA TOURNAMENT.NBA- NO BULLSHEET ALLOWED.

21. LARRY JO - Feb 24, 2010 at 2:43 PM

I am so sorry. I was just finishing registering as a sex offender. LOL. A snake can be a rapist since it doesn’t ask for consentual sex. All it does is sneak up. I am a Neanderthal and I have no idea how this Internet crap works.

22. Jraj - Feb 24, 2010 at 2:50 PM

“JR Smith……tell me how your @$$ taste”

23. Laker fan in Colorado - Feb 24, 2010 at 3:02 PM

J.R. Smith is an ignant snakebit thug!

24. j - Feb 24, 2010 at 3:04 PM

a chump with some bling-blings?!

25. jonnymac - Feb 24, 2010 at 3:08 PM

JR who?…..dude talk crap when you get an idiotic nike puppet commercial.
    oh and by the way…..GOT RINGS?

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches