Feb 24, 2010, 11:57 AM EDT
Rudy Fernandez had a tough time in Portland after a great rookie season. He’s battled injuries and all the adversity the team as a whole has faced, but his larger problem is that Kevin Pritchard stocked the cabinet too full. When you have a roster chock-full of guys who warrant full-time or at least significant minutes, you’re going to have some difficulty in keeping everyone happy.
Fernandez doesn’t say at any point that he wants to return to Spain to play for Real Madrid, and Real Madrid is considered very pro-Real in some circles. But the implication is there that A. Fernandez is unhappy with his relationship with head coach Nate McMillan and B. he’s ‘open’ to any option.
Fernandez has a guaranteed contract through 2011, so getting back to the home country would be a tricky trap to spring. You do have to wonder, though, how this whole thing will play out and what the Blazers’ roster will look like in six months, when six months ago it seemed so rock solid.
- Metta World Peace says Howard isn’t going anywhere because he has a hold on his… um… those 10
- In praise of the brilliant, baffling Manu Ginobili 17
- If Doc is out, who is in for Celtics? Maybe Del Negro, Frank 13
- Where does Celtics’ Rivers, Garnett trade to Clippers stand? They’re talking. 28
- Boris Diaw’s defense slowed LeBron down. I know, right? 26
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- Reports: Jason Kidd finalizes deal, will be Nets new coach (62)
- Bruins stymie Blackhawks, take Game 3
- Survival and heartbreak at US Open
- PHT: Hossa day to day with upper-body injury
- Protesters back in streets of Brazilian cities
- Posnanski: More Open heartbreak for Mickelson
- Radio hosts fired for mocking ex-NFL player with ALS
- PBT: Unheralded Green could steal NBA Finals MVP