Feb 24, 2010, 11:57 AM EDT
Rudy Fernandez had a tough time in Portland after a great rookie season. He’s battled injuries and all the adversity the team as a whole has faced, but his larger problem is that Kevin Pritchard stocked the cabinet too full. When you have a roster chock-full of guys who warrant full-time or at least significant minutes, you’re going to have some difficulty in keeping everyone happy.
Fernandez doesn’t say at any point that he wants to return to Spain to play for Real Madrid, and Real Madrid is considered very pro-Real in some circles. But the implication is there that A. Fernandez is unhappy with his relationship with head coach Nate McMillan and B. he’s ‘open’ to any option.
Fernandez has a guaranteed contract through 2011, so getting back to the home country would be a tricky trap to spring. You do have to wonder, though, how this whole thing will play out and what the Blazers’ roster will look like in six months, when six months ago it seemed so rock solid.
- Vogel: Andrew Bynum to play for Indiana Pacers Tuesday night 7
- Report: Phil Jackson expected to finalize contract with Knicks by end of week 30
- The Extra Pass: Gerald Green doesn’t regret moment of his winding journey to NBA stardom 11
- Monday NBA grades: Blake Griffin shows off his jumper (and yes, he can still dunk) 9
- Suns’ P.J. Tucker ejected after elbow thrown to Blake Griffin’s head (VIDEO) 19