Feb 24, 2010, 11:57 AM EDT
Rudy Fernandez had a tough time in Portland after a great rookie season. He’s battled injuries and all the adversity the team as a whole has faced, but his larger problem is that Kevin Pritchard stocked the cabinet too full. When you have a roster chock-full of guys who warrant full-time or at least significant minutes, you’re going to have some difficulty in keeping everyone happy.
Fernandez doesn’t say at any point that he wants to return to Spain to play for Real Madrid, and Real Madrid is considered very pro-Real in some circles. But the implication is there that A. Fernandez is unhappy with his relationship with head coach Nate McMillan and B. he’s ‘open’ to any option.
Fernandez has a guaranteed contract through 2011, so getting back to the home country would be a tricky trap to spring. You do have to wonder, though, how this whole thing will play out and what the Blazers’ roster will look like in six months, when six months ago it seemed so rock solid.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30