Feb 24, 2010, 3:34 PM EDT
The Eastern Basketball League is a winter league that plays on weekends. It exists, I promise. It’s got a Wikipedia page and everything. It’s legit. Or as legit as it can be.
Turns out, in an attempt to garner some interest and ticket sales, the owner of the Elmira Bulldogs (they have a logo and everything!) decided to try and drum up some dough by bringing in former Piston/Bull/Spur/Madonna beau Dennis Rodman in to “coach” the team. Rodman coached two games (going undefeated!), and being paid $40,000 per contest before ‘retiring’ undefeated.
As NBAtoday.net points out, this plan wasn’t exactly gold to begin with. The Bulldogs would have had to charge $130 per ticket to break even on the deal. The owner is concerned that this debacle may have sunk the franchise, and that perhaps Elmira is just a “hockey town.”
Hey, good news, he didn’t strip naked or do anything else insane at center court. Though again, maybe that would have put some butts in some seats.
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 4
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 19
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 12
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 55
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 60
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 73
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 11