Feb 24, 2010, 3:34 PM EDT
The Eastern Basketball League is a winter league that plays on weekends. It exists, I promise. It’s got a Wikipedia page and everything. It’s legit. Or as legit as it can be.
Turns out, in an attempt to garner some interest and ticket sales, the owner of the Elmira Bulldogs (they have a logo and everything!) decided to try and drum up some dough by bringing in former Piston/Bull/Spur/Madonna beau Dennis Rodman in to “coach” the team. Rodman coached two games (going undefeated!), and being paid $40,000 per contest before ‘retiring’ undefeated.
As NBAtoday.net points out, this plan wasn’t exactly gold to begin with. The Bulldogs would have had to charge $130 per ticket to break even on the deal. The owner is concerned that this debacle may have sunk the franchise, and that perhaps Elmira is just a “hockey town.”
Hey, good news, he didn’t strip naked or do anything else insane at center court. Though again, maybe that would have put some butts in some seats.
- Report: Dante Exum diagnosed with torn ACL 7
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 23
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 24
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9