Feb 24, 2010, 3:34 PM EDT
The Eastern Basketball League is a winter league that plays on weekends. It exists, I promise. It’s got a Wikipedia page and everything. It’s legit. Or as legit as it can be.
Turns out, in an attempt to garner some interest and ticket sales, the owner of the Elmira Bulldogs (they have a logo and everything!) decided to try and drum up some dough by bringing in former Piston/Bull/Spur/Madonna beau Dennis Rodman in to “coach” the team. Rodman coached two games (going undefeated!), and being paid $40,000 per contest before ‘retiring’ undefeated.
As NBAtoday.net points out, this plan wasn’t exactly gold to begin with. The Bulldogs would have had to charge $130 per ticket to break even on the deal. The owner is concerned that this debacle may have sunk the franchise, and that perhaps Elmira is just a “hockey town.”
Hey, good news, he didn’t strip naked or do anything else insane at center court. Though again, maybe that would have put some butts in some seats.
- Paul George leaves USA Basketball Showcase with severe lower leg injury, remainder of scrimmage canceled 60
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 24
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 10
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89