Feb 24, 2010, 4:03 PM EDT
There is just no good way to introduce this one. From Canadian legend J.E. Skeets at Ball Don’t Lie:
That’s right, every fan at the Cleveland Cavaliers’ March 5 game against the Detroit Pistons will wear a limited edition Snuggie before the game’s tip-off. After five snuggly minutes, the Guinness World Record adjudicator will give the official word that the record for, um, “largest gathering of people wearing fleece blankets” has been set.
My dream job — besides this one, of course (in case my brilliant and witty bosses at NBC are reading this) — is to be one of the guys who travels the world for Guinness checking out world records. What, I have to go to Spain for a few days to taste and check out the world’s largest Paella? I’m on it, boss.
Pretty clever idea by the marketing team at the Cavaliers… except couldn’t they pretty much sell basketball? They have LeBron, the best record in the Association, 524 throwback jerseys, do they really need Snuggie night?
If this were New Jersey I’d understand. Well, they needed to do it in an arena where enough people show up to set the record, so the IZOD Center is out. But Cleveland? Personally, I’m holding out for Turbo Snake night.
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 2
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 4
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 32
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 16
- Popovich explains decision to sit Duncan late in regulation of Game 6 14
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (79)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record