Feb 23, 2010, 3:31 PM EDT
Earlier today, it was reported that the Dallas Mavericks had signed Dwayne Jones to a 10-day deal to fill in for the injured Erick Dampier. Now, ESPN’s Marc Stein is reporting that the Mavericks will add some backcourt depth by signing 24-year old shooting guard Von Wafer to a 10-day deal.
Wafer had somewhat of a breakout year for the Rockets last season, averaging 9.7 points per game. That number easily bested Wafer’s previous career best of 2.4 points per game, which he averaged during an eight-game stint with the Portland Trail Blazers. This will be the sixth NBA team Wafer has played for since the Lakers drafted him in 2005. Wafer, who ESPN Los Angeles’ Brian and Andrew Kamenetzky called “The Baron” during his stint with the Lakers, is a shameless bench gunner, and isn’t afraid to shoot from anywhere on the floor at any time. It worked for him last year, as he shot a career-best 39% from beyond the arc with Houston.
Earlier this season, Wafer was playing in Greece for Olympiakos S.F.P. Pireus.
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 20
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 21
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 27
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona