Feb 23, 2010, 3:31 PM EST
Earlier today, it was reported that the Dallas Mavericks had signed Dwayne Jones to a 10-day deal to fill in for the injured Erick Dampier. Now, ESPN’s Marc Stein is reporting that the Mavericks will add some backcourt depth by signing 24-year old shooting guard Von Wafer to a 10-day deal.
Wafer had somewhat of a breakout year for the Rockets last season, averaging 9.7 points per game. That number easily bested Wafer’s previous career best of 2.4 points per game, which he averaged during an eight-game stint with the Portland Trail Blazers. This will be the sixth NBA team Wafer has played for since the Lakers drafted him in 2005. Wafer, who ESPN Los Angeles’ Brian and Andrew Kamenetzky called “The Baron” during his stint with the Lakers, is a shameless bench gunner, and isn’t afraid to shoot from anywhere on the floor at any time. It worked for him last year, as he shot a career-best 39% from beyond the arc with Houston.
Earlier this season, Wafer was playing in Greece for Olympiakos S.F.P. Pireus.
- Report: Timberwolves’ Ricky Rubio set to return Monday vs. Dallas 4
- Nike unveils latest signature shoe for Kobe Bryant, the Kobe X (PHOTOS) 11
- Report: Nuggets trying to trade for Brook Lopez 10
- Last summer Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant talked, decided it wouldn’t work together 26
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 8
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 45
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 11
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 10