Feb 23, 2010, 6:09 PM EDT
Washington forward Andray Blatche has always had the talent. Blatche is a sturdy 6-11, and has a long wingspan and excellent athleticism for his size. He’s also an uncommonly skilled player for his size, able to hit the mid-range jumper, and put the ball on the floor. When Blatche has gone inside, he’s even showed some very nice post moves around the basket.
Drafted straight out of high school, the 23-year old Blatche is already playing in his fifth NBA season. During those five years, Blatche has gained a reputation as somewhat of a disappointing NBA player. He’s been a summer-league dynamo who will show flashes of greatness, but has yet to put it all together at the NBA level. He would drift in and out of games, and would sometimes get caught up trying to be to pretty rather than using his size and taking the ball right at the rim. Blatche’s career high in points is 10.0, he’s never shot better than 50%, and he’s never averaged more than two free throw attempts per game.
Since the Wizards traded Antawn Jamison, Blatche has come on strong. In the four games since Jamison left the lineup, Blatche has scored 24 or more points three times, and pulled down 11 or more rebounds three times. He’s still using his mid-range touch, but is also making a more concerted effort to go to the basket. He was 8-11 at the rim during his breakout 33-point game against the Timberwolves, and went to the line 9 times when the Wizards beat the Bulls last night. Blatche is picking his shots wisely, and has shot better than 50% from the field in each of the four games since Jamison left.
If Blatche can continue to play this way, he can be a major building block for the Wizards going forward. Additionally, second-year center JaVale McGee might have even more natural talent than Blatche, but has been even more erratic over the course of his brief career. If he can get with the program like Blatche has, the Wizards could have a very scary young starting frontcourt.
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 6
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 5
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 34
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 9
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40