Feb 22, 2010, 6:33 PM EDT
Julius “Dr. J” Erving, a former superstar in both the ABA and the NBA, turned 60 years old today. Dr. J is perhaps best-known for his high-flying style, breathtaking moves, and fantastic nickname, but his game was just as effective as it was impressive.
Erving was a three-time MVP of the ABA and won an MVP award in the NBA as well. He won two championships in the ABA, and captured an NBA title in 1983 as a member of the Philadelphia 76ers. He had was selected to the first team of the NBA and ABA a combined nine times, and made 16 total All-Star appearances.
As impressive as his achievements were, perhaps the most lasting part of Dr. J’s legacy will be the highlights he created with his otherworldly athleticism and creativity. Below is one of the videos NBA.com has made for Dr. J’s birthday. I highly recommend checking out the rest if you have time.
- Bulls beat Heat, show why nobody wants to face them in playoffs 29
- Former GM: Carmelo Anthony leaving in free agency would be ‘doing Knicks a favor’ 22
- Report: Cavaliers privately believe it’s not too late to lure LeBron back to Cleveland 20
- Report: Phil Jackson ‘leaning toward’ accepting offer to become Knicks president 42
- Paul Pierce’s move to power forward adds twist to his career, Brooklyn Nets’ season 5