Feb 22, 2010, 6:33 PM EDT
Julius “Dr. J” Erving, a former superstar in both the ABA and the NBA, turned 60 years old today. Dr. J is perhaps best-known for his high-flying style, breathtaking moves, and fantastic nickname, but his game was just as effective as it was impressive.
Erving was a three-time MVP of the ABA and won an MVP award in the NBA as well. He won two championships in the ABA, and captured an NBA title in 1983 as a member of the Philadelphia 76ers. He had was selected to the first team of the NBA and ABA a combined nine times, and made 16 total All-Star appearances.
As impressive as his achievements were, perhaps the most lasting part of Dr. J’s legacy will be the highlights he created with his otherworldly athleticism and creativity. Below is one of the videos NBA.com has made for Dr. J’s birthday. I highly recommend checking out the rest if you have time.
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 3
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 13
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 7
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 48
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 17