Feb 22, 2010, 6:33 PM EDT
Julius “Dr. J” Erving, a former superstar in both the ABA and the NBA, turned 60 years old today. Dr. J is perhaps best-known for his high-flying style, breathtaking moves, and fantastic nickname, but his game was just as effective as it was impressive.
Erving was a three-time MVP of the ABA and won an MVP award in the NBA as well. He won two championships in the ABA, and captured an NBA title in 1983 as a member of the Philadelphia 76ers. He had was selected to the first team of the NBA and ABA a combined nine times, and made 16 total All-Star appearances.
As impressive as his achievements were, perhaps the most lasting part of Dr. J’s legacy will be the highlights he created with his otherworldly athleticism and creativity. Below is one of the videos NBA.com has made for Dr. J’s birthday. I highly recommend checking out the rest if you have time.
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 0
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 3
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 27
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 9
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 25
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 26