Feb 22, 2010, 6:33 PM EDT
Julius “Dr. J” Erving, a former superstar in both the ABA and the NBA, turned 60 years old today. Dr. J is perhaps best-known for his high-flying style, breathtaking moves, and fantastic nickname, but his game was just as effective as it was impressive.
Erving was a three-time MVP of the ABA and won an MVP award in the NBA as well. He won two championships in the ABA, and captured an NBA title in 1983 as a member of the Philadelphia 76ers. He had was selected to the first team of the NBA and ABA a combined nine times, and made 16 total All-Star appearances.
As impressive as his achievements were, perhaps the most lasting part of Dr. J’s legacy will be the highlights he created with his otherworldly athleticism and creativity. Below is one of the videos NBA.com has made for Dr. J’s birthday. I highly recommend checking out the rest if you have time.
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 8
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 43
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 54
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 70
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 10
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 37
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 16