Feb 22, 2010, 6:33 PM EST
Julius “Dr. J” Erving, a former superstar in both the ABA and the NBA, turned 60 years old today. Dr. J is perhaps best-known for his high-flying style, breathtaking moves, and fantastic nickname, but his game was just as effective as it was impressive.
Erving was a three-time MVP of the ABA and won an MVP award in the NBA as well. He won two championships in the ABA, and captured an NBA title in 1983 as a member of the Philadelphia 76ers. He had was selected to the first team of the NBA and ABA a combined nine times, and made 16 total All-Star appearances.
As impressive as his achievements were, perhaps the most lasting part of Dr. J’s legacy will be the highlights he created with his otherworldly athleticism and creativity. Below is one of the videos NBA.com has made for Dr. J’s birthday. I highly recommend checking out the rest if you have time.
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Santa brings Warriors top spot, lump of coal for Knicks 3
- Clippers, Mavericks, Rockets and Kings reportedly interested in signing Josh Smith 11
- Pistons release Josh Smith. WHAT? 52
- Lakers may give Kobe Bryant some nights off to rest. If he wants them. 25
- PBT’s Sunday Night Winners/Losers: Anthony Davis is playing like an MVP 13
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 7
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 20