Feb 22, 2010, 7:38 PM EDT
“Biedrins is 3-for-23 from the line this season. The NBA record low percentage, one season, for a player shooting at least 20 free throws, is held by Garfield Smith, Boston Celtics, 1971-72, shooting 6-for-31 from the line, 19.4 percent. Biedrins is barely better than 13 percent.”
That’s some incredible futility from the stripe right there. GSoM elaborates on the experience of watching Andris shoot free throws:
“The jumpshot is one of the most fundamental aspects of the game of
basketball and there is nothing fundamentally right about Biedrins’
form. If you’ve never seen Biedrins shoot a free throw, then don’t.”
After all these years in the league, it is still not pretty to watch Andris Biedrins shoot free throws. Biedrins is a great athlete and can rebound, block shots, and finish at the rim with the best of them, but his free throws may have become a crippling weakness. Despite all the Warriors must have tried to help Biedrins add some basic skills to his athletic talents, he has shown zero improvements in those areas during his years in the league. According to Matt Steinmetz, Biedrins rejected the help of a shooting coach earlier this year.
Biedrins’ free throw shooting is simply unheard of from an NBA player. It’s clearly impacting the rest of his game; why wouldn’t you put Biedrins on the line whenever possible? In my opinion, if Biedrins doesn’t improve from the stripe soon, he owes it to the fans to at least try shooting them underhanded.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 0
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48