Feb 21, 2010, 4:44 PM EDT
Tony Parker seems to take one-step forwards, two steps towards the trainer’s table.
The San Antonio Express is reporting that Parker will miss tonight’s game with a hip flexor. This alone is no big deal considering the number of games Parker has missed with plantar fasciitis, but more concering is an upcoming MRI to determine the severity of the injury. The Spurs are in a position to get themselves right and possibly salvage their season with a late run after making no trades at the deadline. But without Parker, the complexion of their team is very different.
Dribble penetration is a vital component of the Spurs’ system, particularly from the point guard position. While George Hill has shown to be a capable back-up, his drive and dish capabilities are limited when compared to Parker.
The Spurs’ season on the surface looks fine, nine games over .500 and DeJuan Blair has been a steal. But within the margins are concerns about their ability to compete with the elite teams in the league, injuries plaguing them, and the Richard Jefferson acquisition seeming like a disaster. If Parker winds up missing significant time, the road to the Western Conference Finals may slip out of sight.
- Report: The Clippers have let go of Vinny Del Negro as coach 0
- Durant donates $1 million to Oklahoma City tornado disaster relief efforts 6
- Odds for the NBA Draft Lottery (that teams don’t care if they win) 6
- Jim Boeheim says Knicks problem is not Carmelo, it’s everyone else 6
- Report: Tony Parker got death threat during Game 1 9
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (87)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- PFT: NFL want to make Pro Bowl like game show
- PFT: Bucs saw Revis injury as opportunity
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable