Feb 20, 2010, 10:09 AM EST
Okay, this is a little complicated, so try and keep up. Sam Amick for the Sacramento Bee has a fascinating piece that was originally published here, then pulled, then reposted somewhere else, then yanked again, and finally blogged here. We’ll start at the beginning, last summer when the Kings were going through the draft process.
- Ricky Rubio is represented by Agent Dan Fegan, who of course wants to get the most money and best situation for his client. Naturally, a lot of pressure would be applied to those teams dealing with Fegan regarding Rubio to make Rubio happy.
- This pressure may have put off Kings’ GM Geoff Petrie, helping him to draft Tyreke Evans, who is, quite simply, awesome. Petrie likely thought Evans was the better prospect anyway, but Fegan may have pushed him a little further in the other direction.
- While Evans is destroying the league this season, Kevin Martin is hurt, and signs with… you guessed it, Fegan.
- Then when Martin comes back, he faces the reality that not only is this Tyreke Evans’ team (and you can tell from how teammates react to Evans- and the fact that he dominates in every aspect of the game for stretches, ask the Knicks.), but that the Kings aren’t headed to the playoffs.
- Martin becomes unhappy, and naturally, his agent works to help his client out.
- So now Petrie is dealing with an agent he’s not particularly fond of after the Rubio negotiations this summer, representing a malcontent small guard who’s career hasn’t exactly thundered in win after win.
- Martin is traded for Carl Landry and a boatload of cap space
So Ricky Rubio, the scrawny point guard who teased with going to the league this year, then left the Timberwolves hanging like it was prom night, may have indirectly had a part in Kevin Martin being traded to the Rockets.
Oh, what a tangled web we weave.
- Report: Kings not done trading, Jason Thompson next on block 1
- The Extra Pass: Raptors’ salary dump trade could mean a few more wins, too; plus Sunday recaps 1
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 6
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 3
- Expect to see facilitator Kobe in his return to Lakers 7
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)