Feb 20, 2010, 10:23 AM EDT
UPDATE: The Mavs have also brought in Rashad McCants for a look-see.
Von Wafer’s been fluttering around the outskirts of the league after returning from Olympiakos in Greece (who you’ll remember as the team former-Hawk Josh Childress plays for). He was rumored to sign with Houston, who he was with last season, then Memphis, and has since been unsigned.
The Dallas Morning News is reporting that Wafter was in Dallas yesterday for a workout, but the Mavs aren’t commenting on it.
Wafer would help the Mavericks with a bench need, that of a scoring guard. Jason Kidd and Jose Juan Barea are game-managers, Rodrigue Beaubois is a defensive stalwart and explosive wing, and Caron Butler is an all-around threat that often operates at the small forward position, leaving Jason Terry as their only scoring guard.
Wafer has a trigger that’s made for pulling, but has suffered with coachability and defense. We’ll keep you updated on if Wafer gets snatched up by the Mavs for a playoff push.
- Report: If Kevin Love leaves Cavaliers, Lakers are team to beat in free agency 26
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 38
- Monta Ellis, J.J. Barea pairing ignites Mavericks offense, gets Dallas Game 4 win over Houston 9
- Wizards blow out Raptors to complete first-round sweep 17
- Chris Paul scores 34 points, Clippers win Game 4 to even series with Spurs 6
- Cavaliers advance to second round – but but maybe lose Kevin Love and moral high ground in process 61
- Mike Conley out for Game 4 with “serious” facial injury, no timetable for return 6
- Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead 2