Feb 20, 2010, 10:23 AM EDT
UPDATE: The Mavs have also brought in Rashad McCants for a look-see.
Von Wafer’s been fluttering around the outskirts of the league after returning from Olympiakos in Greece (who you’ll remember as the team former-Hawk Josh Childress plays for). He was rumored to sign with Houston, who he was with last season, then Memphis, and has since been unsigned.
The Dallas Morning News is reporting that Wafter was in Dallas yesterday for a workout, but the Mavs aren’t commenting on it.
Wafer would help the Mavericks with a bench need, that of a scoring guard. Jason Kidd and Jose Juan Barea are game-managers, Rodrigue Beaubois is a defensive stalwart and explosive wing, and Caron Butler is an all-around threat that often operates at the small forward position, leaving Jason Terry as their only scoring guard.
Wafer has a trigger that’s made for pulling, but has suffered with coachability and defense. We’ll keep you updated on if Wafer gets snatched up by the Mavs for a playoff push.
- Can LaMarcus Aldridge break the all-time single-playoff scoring record? 0
- Thursday NBA playoff previews: Which Indiana team shows up? 5
- Wednesday NBA grades: It’s LaMarcus Aldridge’s world and the Rockets have to live in it 12
- LaMarcus Aldridge ruining Dwight Howard’s chance at redemption 13
- Spurs give the ball away first, then Game 2 to Dallas 11