Feb 20, 2010, 5:20 PM EDT
There’s a bit of a double-standard involved in this story.
You see, if Larry Brown were to get together with his young players and take them out for a beer, we’d be falling all over ourselves with how awesome it is that Brown is finally trying to bond with his younger players. If Phil Jackson were to take Shannon Brown and Ron Artest out for a brew, we’d be marveling at the Zen Master’s ability to alter his player’s thinking with his subtle cultural manipulations.
But both Larry Brown and Phil Jackson have their teams winning games and competing night in and night out. They are not embroiled in discussions about the direction of their respective franchises, and their teams play on both sides of the ball.
And so it is that we find the story, courtesy of CSNBayArea.com, of Don Nelson taking Anthony Morrow, Anthony Tolliver, and Stephen Curry to a local Oakland Bar, Smitty’s, for some beers and shuffleboard. Nelson joked that he was short and cash and hustling the youngsters. The problem is that it comes off as unprofessional, when in fact, it’s not.
Nelson’s been around long enough to have had his fair share of beers with his players. But Nelson’s reputation as an uneven coach lends itself to criticism in this situation. With the Warriors trapped in the cycle of poor defense, unhappy players, and consistent questions about the way Nelson handles the rotation, this move may draw ire. But at least Nelson is trying to approach his young players in a context to understand them. For all the talk of Nelson mailing it in at this point in his career, any effort in any context is a good thing.
Does anyone else wonder if Stephen Curry ordered an appletini, easy on the tini?
- Metta World Peace says Howard isn’t going anywhere because he has a hold on his… um… those 15
- In praise of the brilliant, baffling Manu Ginobili 19
- If Doc is out, who is in for Celtics? Maybe Del Negro, Frank 15
- Where does Celtics’ Rivers, Garnett trade to Clippers stand? They’re talking. 28
- Boris Diaw’s defense slowed LeBron down. I know, right? 26
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- Reports: Jason Kidd finalizes deal, will be Nets new coach (62)
- Bruins stymie Blackhawks, take Game 3
- Survival and heartbreak at US Open
- Protesters back in streets of Brazilian cities
- Radio hosts fired for mocking ex-NFL player with ALS
- Posnanski: More Open heartbreak for Mickelson
- PHT: Bruins go 'above and beyond' in Gm. 3
- PHT: Hossa day to day with upper-body injury