Ron Artest trying to lose weight

Feb 19, 2010, 11:58 AM EDT

NBA_artest.jpgOn a breakaway dunk against the Celtics, Ron Artest got as much elevation as I have seen him have since he came to Los Angeles. Nobody is ever going to confuse him with Josh Smith or Vince Carter circa 2002, but with foot problems this season Artest’s vertical had gotten to the point one wondered if he could dunk anymore.

After the game, sitting with his feet in a bucket of ice, I asked Artest about his elevation and condition, and he credited weight loss.

“I feel alright. It’s been tough on me a little bit because I’ve been trying to lose weight and do it during the season,” Artest said. “When I first played I used to play at 260 – 268 and I was good at that weight. But I’m getting older now and I don’t think I want to play at 260 to 270 anymore.

“I can get down. Luckily for me I’m able to. If I play at 270 I’m going to have no fat. I’m going to play at 250, I can get down to 250. The good thing about me at 250 is heavy, but I feel light. The other guys, at 230, 235 they probably feel heavy and out of shape. My 250 is light. My 260 is light also.”

So like middle aged house wives everywhere, Artest is trying to drop a few pounds. However, he’s doing it to take some pressure off his feet, not to work off that extra Valentine’s Day candy. He said he’s getting his weight down by running for about 45 minutes after games. You know, exercise, the stuff left out of mass marketed diets aimed at middle aged women.

The important thing is, so far it seems to be working for Artest on the court.

1. Samy - Feb 19, 2010 at 11:34 PM

Ahhhh sick. I don’t think I could push myself for 45 minutes after a full 36 min avg of NBA play.
    The man is tough.

2. mark - Feb 21, 2010 at 9:22 PM

dang man….he’s really tough..imagine how he push himself to keep runnin after games…for 45mins….thats crazy,…hehehe

3. kobe - Feb 21, 2010 at 11:23 PM

ewwwwwwwwwwwwww man dats so soft

4. Franklyn Milland - Feb 28, 2010 at 5:44 PM

This style has reached a whole new level with the help of online blog services that you can take on the road. Since most people spend more time online, blogs like help them kick their research into overdrive, Franklyn Milland

5. where to buy acai berry products - Mar 2, 2010 at 9:00 AM

Hmmmm that’s cool.

6. maikloe - Jul 26, 2010 at 8:49 PM

For some of those who lose weight, losing weight means you can not eat enough to pay for their own things, can not just eating junk food, can not eat one day casual breakfast, lunch and dinner there. This life can be a very painful thing, when you can not do what you want to do the hell kind of heart is simply a man insane. But I think we can be so distressed after, and the birth of a new weight loss drugs, and it allows us to easily lose weight without dieting, the product name is japan 2 day diet lingzhi.
    It will you lose weight quickly, friend,join us now!

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches