Rivers, Jackson don't want Big Z back with Cavaliers

Feb 19, 2010, 12:07 AM EDT

Doc Rivers and Phil Jackson are very different as coaches, and as people, but the two agree on one thing — the rule that allows Zydrunas Ilgauskas to return to the Cleveland Cavaliers sucks.

The Wizards just acquired Big Z (and his puppet) in a trade but are expected to buy out his contract in a few days, making him a free agent. Ilgauskas can sign anywhere — Atlanta and Dallas are interested — but if he waits 30 days he can sign with the Cavaliers again and go home. Like he never left. And Jackson (clearly thinking ahead to a Finals matchup) didn’t like it.

“They’re going to get Ilgauskas back and it’s going to be one of those scenarios that we see in the NBA where you ship a player out, you get another player, then your player retires or they pay him off and then he comes back in 30 days,” Jackson said. “I don’t know what that does for the league.”

It was more ironic to hear Rivers complain about it — the Celtics did the same thing with Gary Payton back in 2005, when the Celtics traded the point guard for Antoine Walker, then got him back after the buyout.

“I have a problem with that,” Rivers said. “I loved it three years ago when we did it with Gary Payton if you remember, but now I think it sucks. I think it’s a terrible deal. I actually do have a problem with that though. We did it, and I’m joking, but I do think (there is a problem). I don’t know what you do. Just not allow them to go back to the same team or whatever.

He added that it’s something the league needs to think about.

“I do think that will be changed eventually, but I do have a problem with it.”

1. Leo - Feb 19, 2010 at 8:34 AM

Doc, the word you are looking for is Hypocrite. Look hard in the mirror. You can’t reap the rewards of a rule one day and bash it’s validity the next.

2. Adam - Feb 19, 2010 at 11:29 AM

Doc, u suck urself saying so… pathetic.

3. A - Feb 19, 2010 at 11:30 AM

Doc sucks.

4. larry - Feb 19, 2010 at 12:42 PM

Doc that may be the dumbest post ever. You do it and it’s ok cavs do it and it’s bad for the league.

5. Anonymous - Feb 19, 2010 at 12:58 PM

find them all a crying towle

6. donny - Feb 19, 2010 at 1:02 PM

to bad . the clevland fans get something to go wright and thay all cry

7. Michael - Feb 19, 2010 at 1:21 PM

I think the point is, if there rule says it is ok, then who wouldnt do it. He as a coach needs to do what is best for his team and it is the free agent’s choice to come back but for the league, he thinks that is a loophole.

8. Jiim - Feb 19, 2010 at 3:25 PM

Doc is kinda like Senator Kerry I voted against it
    before I voted for it. Doc is one of those guy its great when its for me and sucks when its for somebody else.
    A dime a dozen guy

9. brooklyn kid - Feb 19, 2010 at 3:55 PM

I thought I was the only one who screwed my head this morning.

10. HB - Feb 19, 2010 at 4:11 PM

Reference the comment:
    “Doc is kinda like Senator Kerry I voted against it
    A dime a dozen guy”
    Kerry was for a multi-billion dollar appropriation for Iraq when the proposed bill included provision that half of the money given to Iraq would be a loan. President Bush said he would veto the bill unless the loan provision would be removed. The provision was removed and then Kerry voted against it.
    Kerry’s comment was awkward but in the light of history (Iraq soon to be rolling in Oil money)it was a reasonable position. Few pundits know or ever mention the context. So that’s politics.

11. Michael - Feb 19, 2010 at 5:38 PM

It doesn’t matter–we are still going to beat the Cavs in the Finals—LAKERS in 5..

12. SportsFan - Feb 19, 2010 at 6:13 PM

Phil Jackson can’t complain because Jerry West gave him Pau Gasol for almost nothing. Worked out great for the Lakers and I love it.

13. rob n - Feb 21, 2010 at 9:48 PM

Did the Cavs try to stop Boston when it traded for Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett, or maybe the Lakers when made that sickening trade for Pau Gasol and neither team had to give up anything. Don’t you dare start this LA and Boston, that’s all i got to say.

14. Anonymous - Feb 22, 2010 at 11:10 AM

Not to worry Doc and Phil aka Dumb and Dumber-Z WILL be back with the Cavs in the city he loves and calls “home”…wife is a Clevelander…he’s not going anywhere but to C-town.
    tata.

15. jake - Mar 1, 2010 at 4:29 AM

Actually, the Lakers gave up two draft picks, Crittiton, Brown and Pau’s younger brother, who has improved much with the Grizzlies. Had the Lakers been able to hang onto both Gasol brothers, then you’d have an argument. Though not much as the Cavs will have lost nothing in acquiring Jamison.

16. jake - Mar 1, 2010 at 4:31 AM

17. tia - Mar 5, 2010 at 3:22 PM

hi wat up cavs i hope u put mine ok cu’z i want to win

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches