Feb 19, 2010, 5:58 PM EDT
The Cleveland Cavaliers were considered one of the big winners at the trade deadline, getting forward Antawn Jamison for Zydrunas Ilgauskas’ expiring contract and a first-round pick. If Ilgauskas ends up getting bought out and returning to Cleveland, Ferry will have made yet another trade where he secured a major asset without giving up much in return.
“Well, we had been trying to get Antawn for the last few years; from the time that he may have been available as a free agent until now. We just felt that he’s a great fit playing next to LeBron. A stretch four, a guy that can be a secondary scorer and a guy on any given night that can score 25 points. Adding that to a team and having a few guys on a team that can do that on any given night is important…We’re excited to have Antawn with us.”
Ferry also spoke about the decision to trade Zydrunas Ilgauskas, the beloved center who had been with the team since they drafted him in 1997. He called it “without a doubt the toughest trade that I have been a part of,” and said that Ilgauskas handled the news of the trade with typical class.
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 8
- A ‘devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize in time for Game 7 23
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 8
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 14
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 101
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (103)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Pats' Hernandez questioned in murder case
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'