Feb 19, 2010, 8:34 AM EDT
Dwayne Schintzius, the former Net and Celtic from the 1990s, is back in his native Florida battling for his life against leukemia.
Schintzius, 41, had a bone marrow transplant about three weeks ago with marrow donated from his brother, Travis. At the time the prognosis seemed encouraging for the former Brandon High star…
But his condition apparently has not significantly improved.
“Since that time, things have changed,” said Myrna Stall, Dwayne Schintzius’ aunt. “The situation is not good. I can tell you that.”
Schintzius was an All-America center at Florida who played eight seasons in the NBA in the 1990s and was the quintessential journeyman, being with five teams in those eight years. He spent three seasons in New Jersey and started 11 games for the Nets in the 1994-95 season.
He was diagnosed in November. His family is with him in the hospital. We wish him and his family the best in these trying times. (Hat tip to The Big Lead.)
- A ‘devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize in time for Game 7 1
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 4
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 7
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 96
- PBT Extra: Talking Duncan, LeBron legacies; plus Game 6 12
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (96)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'