Feb 19, 2010, 9:54 AM EDT
Trade rumors are swirling around the Celtics Thursday morning. Ray Allen’s name was coming up in big trades. Other Celtics were coming up in parts of other deals. While players will tell you they ignore this speculation, they don’t. They know what is going on, that their name is in play. Guys were talking about it at a morning practice for the Lakers
So how does Doc Rivers diffuse this? This is the story he told myself and other reporters pregame last night.
At breakfast he called those players one at a time over to his table – often a sign a player is about to be told some news. They would make the slow march over to him. Then Rivers would tell them he just wanted to say hello.
“The guys mentioned in trades, I thought they would be nervous. It was a good joke.”
Funny guy. Real funny guy.
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 12
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 5
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 4
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 7
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 28