Feb 19, 2010, 9:54 AM EST
Trade rumors are swirling around the Celtics Thursday morning. Ray Allen’s name was coming up in big trades. Other Celtics were coming up in parts of other deals. While players will tell you they ignore this speculation, they don’t. They know what is going on, that their name is in play. Guys were talking about it at a morning practice for the Lakers
So how does Doc Rivers diffuse this? This is the story he told myself and other reporters pregame last night.
At breakfast he called those players one at a time over to his table – often a sign a player is about to be told some news. They would make the slow march over to him. Then Rivers would tell them he just wanted to say hello.
“The guys mentioned in trades, I thought they would be nervous. It was a good joke.”
Funny guy. Real funny guy.
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 17
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 4
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11