Feb 18, 2010, 11:46 AM EST
12:10 pm It’s official according to Mark Spears at Yahoo, Tyrus Thomas is headed to the Bobcats. The deal is for Acie Law, Flip Murray and a future first round pick. Denver had tried to get Thomas in a deal, but the Bobcats pick will be much higher and that was the deciding factor.
11:46 am The Bobcats want front line depth and they appear ready to give the talented but unfocused Tyrus Thomas the chance to fill that role.
Ken Berger at CBSsports.com is reporting the Bulls and Bobcats are close to a deal that sends Thomas to Charlotte. What is not released yet what would head back to the Midwest, but it likely would include Acie Law and Flip Murray, both expiring deals. Charlotte may want to find a way to include point guard DJ Augustin, who the team has been trying to move for a while, however the Bulls want expiring contracts and DJ is in just the second year of his rookie deal.
At the same time, other reports say the Thomas to the Knicks talks have “lost traction.”
Thomas has worlds of talent that he only shows in flashes. Even people close to Thomas said the recurring mantra of his coaches and trainers is to bring passion to his game every night. But the lack of that, combined with a healthy ego, led to clashes with coach Vinny Del Negro in Chicago.
Wait until Thomas meets Larry Brown.
Brown gets a lot of out of players and is maybe the best teacher among NBA coaches. Thomas could get a lot out of him, if he tunes him in. He can also get plenty of burn on the court. But if he tunes him out, Thomas will find Brown also has a very large dog house that can accommodate big egos.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 0
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 8
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13