Feb 18, 2010, 8:45 AM EDT
Just 24 hours ago, Amar’e Stoudemire leaving the Valley of the Sun seemed a sure thing, and most likely he would be hooking up with LeBron James in what would have been a freak show of athleticism.
Today, Stoudemire is pretty sure he isn’t going anywhere.
“I think I’m pretty much safe,” Stoudemire said after a talk with owner Robert Sarver following the Suns’ 107-97 loss at Dallas. “I feel good. But either way I was going to feel all right.”
When a player talks to an owner then says he is probably staying, he’s staying. It is possible that Miami or Philadelphia, the two teams reported to still have interest in Stoudemire, could step up last minute with an offer too good to turn down. Miami in particular has to be thinking about making a move after Cleveland went out and bought their free agent to be a shiny new toy. Miami’s top goal is keeping Wade this summer (or it had better be).
Stoudemire has another choice to make by this summer — whether to opt out of his contract, set to pay him $17.7 million next year. He has hinted he is leaning against it, realizing that in this economy he is not going to make that much on the open market. But he would get a healthy payday, and if he is willing to trade a few million to get out of Phoenix, he could.
Just doesn’t sound like he wants to.
Stoudemire anticipates no problems remaining in Phoenix.
“Yeah, absolutely, he said. “It’s all about being professional. My character, hopefully you guys have been seeing my character over the past 7 1/2 years but more so the last two years with the trade talk. I’m still going to remain a competitive force on the basketball court.”
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 1
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14