Feb 18, 2010, 8:45 AM EDT
Just 24 hours ago, Amar’e Stoudemire leaving the Valley of the Sun seemed a sure thing, and most likely he would be hooking up with LeBron James in what would have been a freak show of athleticism.
Today, Stoudemire is pretty sure he isn’t going anywhere.
“I think I’m pretty much safe,” Stoudemire said after a talk with owner Robert Sarver following the Suns’ 107-97 loss at Dallas. “I feel good. But either way I was going to feel all right.”
When a player talks to an owner then says he is probably staying, he’s staying. It is possible that Miami or Philadelphia, the two teams reported to still have interest in Stoudemire, could step up last minute with an offer too good to turn down. Miami in particular has to be thinking about making a move after Cleveland went out and bought their free agent to be a shiny new toy. Miami’s top goal is keeping Wade this summer (or it had better be).
Stoudemire has another choice to make by this summer — whether to opt out of his contract, set to pay him $17.7 million next year. He has hinted he is leaning against it, realizing that in this economy he is not going to make that much on the open market. But he would get a healthy payday, and if he is willing to trade a few million to get out of Phoenix, he could.
Just doesn’t sound like he wants to.
Stoudemire anticipates no problems remaining in Phoenix.
“Yeah, absolutely, he said. “It’s all about being professional. My character, hopefully you guys have been seeing my character over the past 7 1/2 years but more so the last two years with the trade talk. I’m still going to remain a competitive force on the basketball court.”
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 0
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 21
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 18
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 11
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Watch LIVE: Bruins-Rangers
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks look to even series with Red Wings
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1