Feb 18, 2010, 10:10 PM EDT
The days of buyouts started just hours after the trade deadline passed, when the Washington Wizards told Mike James to take a leave of absence pending the buyout of his contract.
James was a regular part of the Wizards rotation last year, starting 50 games, but he had appeared in just four this year. The Wizards tried to find a way to use his $6.6 million expiring contract in a deal, but when that didn’t happen they decided to just buy him out.
Buying out contracts is going to be the hot thing over the next few days in the NBA. Some of these guys, like Zydrunas Ilgauskas, will have no trouble getting work. It is likely Mike James will have some suitors, although the rumored leader early is Charlotte.
Another guy out there right now is Kenny Thomas, who was waived by the Kings. However, he is not going to a lot of suitors for what is left of his game.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 4
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 8
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4