Feb 18, 2010, 10:10 PM EST
The days of buyouts started just hours after the trade deadline passed, when the Washington Wizards told Mike James to take a leave of absence pending the buyout of his contract.
James was a regular part of the Wizards rotation last year, starting 50 games, but he had appeared in just four this year. The Wizards tried to find a way to use his $6.6 million expiring contract in a deal, but when that didn’t happen they decided to just buy him out.
Buying out contracts is going to be the hot thing over the next few days in the NBA. Some of these guys, like Zydrunas Ilgauskas, will have no trouble getting work. It is likely Mike James will have some suitors, although the rumored leader early is Charlotte.
Another guy out there right now is Kenny Thomas, who was waived by the Kings. However, he is not going to a lot of suitors for what is left of his game.
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 18
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 16
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 61
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13