Feb 18, 2010, 10:10 PM EST
The days of buyouts started just hours after the trade deadline passed, when the Washington Wizards told Mike James to take a leave of absence pending the buyout of his contract.
James was a regular part of the Wizards rotation last year, starting 50 games, but he had appeared in just four this year. The Wizards tried to find a way to use his $6.6 million expiring contract in a deal, but when that didn’t happen they decided to just buy him out.
Buying out contracts is going to be the hot thing over the next few days in the NBA. Some of these guys, like Zydrunas Ilgauskas, will have no trouble getting work. It is likely Mike James will have some suitors, although the rumored leader early is Charlotte.
Another guy out there right now is Kenny Thomas, who was waived by the Kings. However, he is not going to a lot of suitors for what is left of his game.
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 10: Anthony Davis’ breakout 10
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 8
- Josh Smith makes Rockets debut, throws down two-handed dunk (VIDEO) 15
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 20
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 6
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 25
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8