Feb 18, 2010, 7:25 PM EDT
In practice, the winners and losers at this trade deadline will be determined in the playoffs, the summer free agent market and this and future drafts.
But we’re not that patient, either. Enter Ira Winderman, who gave out medals to the winners. The gold goes to a few teams, including the Dallas Mavericks.
It’s not that Caron Butler is a clearly superior talent to Josh Howard. He’s not. It’s that Butler is far more reliable, and in the midst of another competitive Western Conference playoff race, that’s particularly meaningful.
Just as significant was the Mavericks’ acquisition of Brendan Haywood in the trade with the Wizards, which not only upgrades Dallas in the middle, but also adds more fouls to play with.
Those fouls will come in handy when the Mavericks take on the big front line of the Lakers or the physical play of the Nuggets.
Winderman also gave gold medals to the Cavaliers (well, duh), the Portland Trail Blazers and the cap-clearing Knicks. He’s got silver (the Clippers, when was the last time they were winners) and bronze medalists.
Then there are the teams that won lead for their performances. I won’t spoil the surprise, but he doesn’t think teams trying to sell new arenas to a community should be selling off assets.
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 0
- Spurs need overtime in Game 2 to beat Grizzlies, take a 2-0 series lead 0
- Cavaliers bask in another lottery victory 5
- For second time in three years Cavaliers win NBA draft lottery 33
- PBT Extra: Eastern Conference Finals preview time 3
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car
- Play Video: Metta World Peace the weatherman
- Play Video: Eastern Conference finals preview
- Play Video: Heat gearing for another physical battle
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars