Feb 18, 2010, 10:27 PM EDT
Before his team took the floor against the Lakers, Celtics coach Doc Rivers talked about how Nate Robinson was a good fit for the team. As you can expect, it was all glowing and love.
“He gives us speed, he gives us another ballhander, and like I was said he’s a guy who can give us a night…,” Rivers said. “He’s a guy who can create shots after the play breaks down.”
That much we all knew. What was surprising was to hear Rivers talk about what a good defender Robinson was and how he could fit in at that end of the court. To hear him praise Robinson’s ball pressure and how that can create turnovers and easy baskets. How Robinson understands that the Celtics are a defense first team. That he wants to be a part of that.
We’ll see what Rivers is saying about Robinson’s defense in a few weeks. That will probably be kinder than what Celtics fans will be saying about it.
Robinson and Rivers have talked on the phone, but due to physicals and all that Rivers said he doubts Robinson will be in place to play Friday night in Portland.
Rivers also stuck with the company line about not making any other trades at the deadline.
“I’ve said I like this team,” Rivers said. “We didn’t need to make a lot of changes, and we didn’t.”
We’ll see if he is saying that in a few weeks. That will probably be kinder than what Celtics fans will be saying about not making a big move then.
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 8
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 6
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 16
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 39
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15