Feb 18, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT
Multiple sources are reporting talk that Ronnie Brewer may have been traded to the Memphis Grizzlies. Memphis radio host Chris Vernon tweeted that he heard the Grizzlies are only giving up a protected pick in the deal.
If the rumors are true, this would be a cost-cutting move for the Jazz, who do not want to pay the luxury tax. They gave away backup guard Eric Maynor to rid themselves of Matt Harpring’s contract earlier this season, so finances are clearly motivating their moves.
Even still, Brewer has been playing heavy rotation minutes for Jerry Sloan. Brewer has no outside shot and isn’t much of a threat to score, but his athleticism and length make him a fabulous defender and role player. Only Carlos Boozer and Deron Williams have played more minutes for the Jazz this year than Brewer.
Memphis could use Brewer. O.J. Mayo, Rudy Gay, and Mike Conley have all been playing heavy minutes. The guard situation in Memphis has been so dire at times that they have been forced to resort to giving Jamaal Tinsley and Marcus Williams minutes. If the rumors are true, deals like the one the Jazz are making are part of the reason why owners will push so hard for a new CBA in 2011.
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 20
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 26
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 27
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 17
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 17
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 16
RotoWorld.com Fantasy Sports
Top 10 NBA Player Searches
Search player news RotoWorld