Feb 18, 2010, 3:30 PM EST
Multiple sources are reporting talk that Ronnie Brewer may have been traded to the Memphis Grizzlies. Memphis radio host Chris Vernon tweeted that he heard the Grizzlies are only giving up a protected pick in the deal.
If the rumors are true, this would be a cost-cutting move for the Jazz, who do not want to pay the luxury tax. They gave away backup guard Eric Maynor to rid themselves of Matt Harpring’s contract earlier this season, so finances are clearly motivating their moves.
Even still, Brewer has been playing heavy rotation minutes for Jerry Sloan. Brewer has no outside shot and isn’t much of a threat to score, but his athleticism and length make him a fabulous defender and role player. Only Carlos Boozer and Deron Williams have played more minutes for the Jazz this year than Brewer.
Memphis could use Brewer. O.J. Mayo, Rudy Gay, and Mike Conley have all been playing heavy minutes. The guard situation in Memphis has been so dire at times that they have been forced to resort to giving Jamaal Tinsley and Marcus Williams minutes. If the rumors are true, deals like the one the Jazz are making are part of the reason why owners will push so hard for a new CBA in 2011.
- Derrick Rose leaves Bulls-Nuggets game with hamstring tightness 23
- Kobe Bryant: “We’re not a 3-11 team. We’re not.” 18
- Tom Thibodeau is getting tired of answering Derrick Rose questions 15
- Veteran NBA coach: ‘I think (Cavaliers head coach David Blatt) is struggling a bit’ 28
- PBT’s Monday night NBA Winners/Losers: That looks more like the Cavaliers we expected 12
- Carmelo Anthony exits Knicks-Rockets game with apparent back injury 9
- Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant progressing in rehab, Westbrook could play Friday 6
- Lakers forward Xavier Henry ruptured Achilles in practice, out for season 23
RotoWorld.com Fantasy Sports
Top 10 NBA Player Searches
Search player news RotoWorld