Feb 18, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT
Multiple sources are reporting talk that Ronnie Brewer may have been traded to the Memphis Grizzlies. Memphis radio host Chris Vernon tweeted that he heard the Grizzlies are only giving up a protected pick in the deal.
If the rumors are true, this would be a cost-cutting move for the Jazz, who do not want to pay the luxury tax. They gave away backup guard Eric Maynor to rid themselves of Matt Harpring’s contract earlier this season, so finances are clearly motivating their moves.
Even still, Brewer has been playing heavy rotation minutes for Jerry Sloan. Brewer has no outside shot and isn’t much of a threat to score, but his athleticism and length make him a fabulous defender and role player. Only Carlos Boozer and Deron Williams have played more minutes for the Jazz this year than Brewer.
Memphis could use Brewer. O.J. Mayo, Rudy Gay, and Mike Conley have all been playing heavy minutes. The guard situation in Memphis has been so dire at times that they have been forced to resort to giving Jamaal Tinsley and Marcus Williams minutes. If the rumors are true, deals like the one the Jazz are making are part of the reason why owners will push so hard for a new CBA in 2011.
- Paul George tweets: “I’ll be ok and be back better than ever” 0
- Paul George leaves USA Basketball Showcase with severe lower leg injury, remainder of scrimmage canceled 74
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 24
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 10
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
RotoWorld.com Fantasy Sports
Top 10 NBA Player Searches
Search player news RotoWorld