Feb 18, 2010, 3:35 PM EDT
UPDATE 3:35 pm: These talks never came to fruition, really never came close, according to ESPN’s Marc Stein. The Heat initiated the talks, they tried to bring the Wizards in, and while the Jazz were too polite to hang up the phone they were never going to do this, anyway. Boozer is playing fantastic basketball and he is an expiring contract, why would you trade that?
For the Heat, their runs at Boozer and Stoudemire show Wade they tried, even if those attempts were doomed to failure and everybody knew it.
1:13 pm: Most likely, Miami is just putting on the “Look Mr. Wade, we tried ever so hard to get you help” show, but there are now three-way talks between the Heat, Jazz and Wizards that would bring Carlos Boozer to South Florida. This is a last minute thing and those rarely come together, but they are talking.
The three team deal would have Boozer going to Miami, the Wizards getting cap relief (they are about $830,000 over the luxury tax threshold right now, so getting under that number will net them about $5.3 million with the payout, pretty big motivation) and Utah getting someone that is not Michael Beasley. However, details are sketchy so far.
The Heat and Jazz brass talked about a straight swap, but couldn’t work out a deal. Miami is pushing this — see making Wade happy in first sentence — and brought the Wizards into the talks.
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 0
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 1
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 18
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 14
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers 44
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement