Feb 18, 2010, 3:35 PM EDT
UPDATE 3:35 pm: These talks never came to fruition, really never came close, according to ESPN’s Marc Stein. The Heat initiated the talks, they tried to bring the Wizards in, and while the Jazz were too polite to hang up the phone they were never going to do this, anyway. Boozer is playing fantastic basketball and he is an expiring contract, why would you trade that?
For the Heat, their runs at Boozer and Stoudemire show Wade they tried, even if those attempts were doomed to failure and everybody knew it.
1:13 pm: Most likely, Miami is just putting on the “Look Mr. Wade, we tried ever so hard to get you help” show, but there are now three-way talks between the Heat, Jazz and Wizards that would bring Carlos Boozer to South Florida. This is a last minute thing and those rarely come together, but they are talking.
The three team deal would have Boozer going to Miami, the Wizards getting cap relief (they are about $830,000 over the luxury tax threshold right now, so getting under that number will net them about $5.3 million with the payout, pretty big motivation) and Utah getting someone that is not Michael Beasley. However, details are sketchy so far.
The Heat and Jazz brass talked about a straight swap, but couldn’t work out a deal. Miami is pushing this — see making Wade happy in first sentence — and brought the Wizards into the talks.
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 46
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 64
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 19
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 39
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 7
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8
- Reports: Bulls getting closer to firing Tom Thibodeau 30
- PBT Extra: Despite ending, Hawks had season worth celebrating 3