Feb 18, 2010, 3:35 PM EDT
UPDATE 3:35 pm: These talks never came to fruition, really never came close, according to ESPN’s Marc Stein. The Heat initiated the talks, they tried to bring the Wizards in, and while the Jazz were too polite to hang up the phone they were never going to do this, anyway. Boozer is playing fantastic basketball and he is an expiring contract, why would you trade that?
For the Heat, their runs at Boozer and Stoudemire show Wade they tried, even if those attempts were doomed to failure and everybody knew it.
1:13 pm: Most likely, Miami is just putting on the “Look Mr. Wade, we tried ever so hard to get you help” show, but there are now three-way talks between the Heat, Jazz and Wizards that would bring Carlos Boozer to South Florida. This is a last minute thing and those rarely come together, but they are talking.
The three team deal would have Boozer going to Miami, the Wizards getting cap relief (they are about $830,000 over the luxury tax threshold right now, so getting under that number will net them about $5.3 million with the payout, pretty big motivation) and Utah getting someone that is not Michael Beasley. However, details are sketchy so far.
The Heat and Jazz brass talked about a straight swap, but couldn’t work out a deal. Miami is pushing this — see making Wade happy in first sentence — and brought the Wizards into the talks.
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (67)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'