Feb 17, 2010, 10:01 AM EDT
Amare Stoudemire expects his next game to be tonight, in Dallas for the Phoenix Suns. After that, who knows?
Up until a few days ago Stoudemire and the Suns still talked about extending his deal, but it turns out they have very different perceptions of his worth.
(Stoudemire’s) agent Happy Walters and Suns general manager Steve Kerr exchanged contract offers over the weekend but were far apart in talks, sources said. Those privy to the conversations among Suns ownership, management and Walters say they no longer include scenarios where Stoudemire isn’t traded prior to Thursday’s deadline.
The same report has Stoudemire telling friends this is it, tonight he plays his last game in Phoenix colors.
Everyone basically knew that to be true, but the two sides had to go through the formality of talking about a longer deal. Where Stoudemire is off to now remains to be seen, although Cleveland or Miami are the smart bets. Phoenix is taking its time making a decision.
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 0
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 6
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 3
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 44
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 17
- Phil Jackson is optimistic about Knicks coming season, except the start 7
- Report: Lakers considering bringing back Metta World Peace 33