Feb 17, 2010, 10:01 AM EDT
Amare Stoudemire expects his next game to be tonight, in Dallas for the Phoenix Suns. After that, who knows?
Up until a few days ago Stoudemire and the Suns still talked about extending his deal, but it turns out they have very different perceptions of his worth.
(Stoudemire’s) agent Happy Walters and Suns general manager Steve Kerr exchanged contract offers over the weekend but were far apart in talks, sources said. Those privy to the conversations among Suns ownership, management and Walters say they no longer include scenarios where Stoudemire isn’t traded prior to Thursday’s deadline.
The same report has Stoudemire telling friends this is it, tonight he plays his last game in Phoenix colors.
Everyone basically knew that to be true, but the two sides had to go through the formality of talking about a longer deal. Where Stoudemire is off to now remains to be seen, although Cleveland or Miami are the smart bets. Phoenix is taking its time making a decision.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 12
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43