Feb 17, 2010, 10:01 AM EDT
Amare Stoudemire expects his next game to be tonight, in Dallas for the Phoenix Suns. After that, who knows?
Up until a few days ago Stoudemire and the Suns still talked about extending his deal, but it turns out they have very different perceptions of his worth.
(Stoudemire’s) agent Happy Walters and Suns general manager Steve Kerr exchanged contract offers over the weekend but were far apart in talks, sources said. Those privy to the conversations among Suns ownership, management and Walters say they no longer include scenarios where Stoudemire isn’t traded prior to Thursday’s deadline.
The same report has Stoudemire telling friends this is it, tonight he plays his last game in Phoenix colors.
Everyone basically knew that to be true, but the two sides had to go through the formality of talking about a longer deal. Where Stoudemire is off to now remains to be seen, although Cleveland or Miami are the smart bets. Phoenix is taking its time making a decision.
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 0
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 7
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 22
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 23
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 7
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 5
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 20