Feb 17, 2010, 10:01 AM EST
Amare Stoudemire expects his next game to be tonight, in Dallas for the Phoenix Suns. After that, who knows?
Up until a few days ago Stoudemire and the Suns still talked about extending his deal, but it turns out they have very different perceptions of his worth.
(Stoudemire’s) agent Happy Walters and Suns general manager Steve Kerr exchanged contract offers over the weekend but were far apart in talks, sources said. Those privy to the conversations among Suns ownership, management and Walters say they no longer include scenarios where Stoudemire isn’t traded prior to Thursday’s deadline.
The same report has Stoudemire telling friends this is it, tonight he plays his last game in Phoenix colors.
Everyone basically knew that to be true, but the two sides had to go through the formality of talking about a longer deal. Where Stoudemire is off to now remains to be seen, although Cleveland or Miami are the smart bets. Phoenix is taking its time making a decision.
- NBA denies Kings’ protest 2
- Russell Westbrook returns to court tonight for Thunder vs. Knicks 7
- Kobe Bryant says Gary Payton, Kevin Garnett among best trash talkers he’s faced 9
- PBT’s Wednesday NBA Winners/Losers: Ettore Messina making history for Spurs 1
- LeBron James, Cavaliers have kind of game they need to replicate blowing out Wizards 5
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 8
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 8
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 9