Feb 17, 2010, 1:33 PM EDT
In a move that has come as a surprise but is not without reason, Tom Wilson has stepped down as the president of the Detroit Pistons and CEO of Palace Entertainment after 15 years.
The Detroit Free Press found out via an email from Wilson.
“I have had the honor to be a part of the Pistons family for the last 32 years, 31 of them working along side Bill Davidson,” Wilson said in a statement. “He was a dear friend and partner. I believe that, with Mr. Davidson’s unfortunate passing, however, the time is now right for me and my family to explore many exciting opportunities that have come my way recently.”
While he won’t say it, this is almost certainly tied to the decision by owner Karen Davidon’s announcement last month she is looking to sell the team. She took control of the team after her husband, Bill, passed away last March. She said a few weeks back she did not have the passion for owning an NBA franchise that her late husband did.
Allen Ostfield, the current COO, will step into the CEO role. The move is not expected to change plans on the court or the team, nor is a change in the front office expected.
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 2
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 4
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 32
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 16
- Popovich explains decision to sit Duncan late in regulation of Game 6 14
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (79)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record