Feb 17, 2010, 8:40 AM EST
Apparently the All-Star Weekend buzz — we’re going to assume that’s what the buzz is from — has not worn off for Mark Cuban. And when you’re buzzed, some wild ideas come out of your mouth.
Like the Dallas Mavericks playing a few home games in Cowboy Stadium.
“There would be a lot of strategic reasons, in addition to potentially economic reasons, to play a game over there,” Cuban said before the Mavericks’ road game against the Oklahoma City Thunder. “You could bring in twice as many fans, so economically it’d probably work out, and it’d be a unique attraction for people who wanted to come play for the Mavs.”
Cuban, who said regular season or playoff games are possibilities for Cowboys Stadium, has been thinking about the idea since Sunday’s All-Star Game there. That game was attended by 108,713 fans, shattering the previous record for a basketball game.
The NBA All-Star Game experience is something people are willing to pay for, even if the people in the top seats essentially paid to watch the game on a big screen larger than the basketball court itself. But an NBA regular season game? Not sure anyone does that, even if it is the Lakers and Kobe in town. First round playoff game? Pretty much the same thing.
As for the second round of the playoffs and beyond… Dallas should make sure they get that far first and foremost.
Dallas has sold out 341 consecutive games at American Airlines Arena. The fans are loyal. And under the right circumstances, they could sell more tickets in a larger venue for a game. But right now Dallas has a nice home court advantage, and Cuban should be careful not to tinker with that too much (especially if we are talking about a playoff game).
Cuban sometimes talks to the media, then goes and talks to David Stern or Jerry Jones or any of the other people who should be in on his thinking. But that’s what we do when we’re buzzed.
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions 0
- The Extra Pass: Five quick ways to improve the league; plus Monday’s Recaps 7
- Monday night NBA Grades: DeMarcus Cousins was in beast mode 2
- PBT Extra: Kobe Bryant is back, doesn’t have much time to get it right 5
- It’s official, Clippers agree to terms with Stephen Jackson 4
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)