Feb 17, 2010, 4:00 PM EST
Update 3:53 pm Okay, I am done predicting when Kobe will be back.
When asked at Lakers practice today, Bryant said he would not be playing against the Celtics on Thursday night. He said the ankle and tendon were not ready, but that he could change his mind tomorrow depending on how it feels.
11:35 am Yes, you saw the “Kobe will be back next game” headline yesterday. But this time we really mean it.
He was good enough to practice Monday but the ankle didn’t respond well so he didn’t go Tuesday. But that was against a Monta-less Golden State Warriors team. Thursday night it is national television against the Celtics. Different motivation factors there.
Phil Jackson talked in a circle about Kobe’s ankle after the game Tuesday.
“I’m sure he wants to be (ready to face the Celtics),” Jackson said. “I’m sure he’s making every attempt to be. He’s doing therapy; he’s almost doing therapy too much in the process of trying to get this thing better. I think he’ll give it a try and we’ll see how it is on Thursday.”
After Thursday’s game, the Lakers are off again for four days, until the following Tuesday. That’s a lot of time to rest up, and another reason for Kobe to go. As if he needed another reason besides the Celtics
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 16
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 17
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 21
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)