Feb 17, 2010, 9:26 AM EST
With just under three minutes remaining in the Mavericks’ loss to the Thunder Tuesday, Eric Dampier went up to try and block a Russell Westbrook layup.
In the process Dampier’s finger suffered a severe dislocation (the bone ripped through the skin and he bled, a lot). Dampier was taken to an area hospital, where surgery was performed to repair his hand.
Dampier now will be out indefinitely. He has been battling injuries for much for much of the season, including a knee issue that kept him out for six games in January.
This will move recently-acquired Brendan Haywood into the starting lineup. The move will upgrade the Mavericks starting five but will hurt their depth. That would especially be true if he missed any of the playoffs, where an extra big man will be more than a luxury.
- PBT Podcast: Talking Showtime Lakers with author Jeff Pearlman 0
- After Lakers’ 48-point loss, Laker GM Kupchak, owner Buss met with coach D’Antoni 4
- Report: Knicks offer Phil Jackson a front office position 21
- Is Carmelo Anthony’s smart play to opt in and play out contract with Knicks? 16
- LeBron says he has open door policy, would certainly speak to Paul George 28