Feb 17, 2010, 9:26 AM EDT
With just under three minutes remaining in the Mavericks’ loss to the Thunder Tuesday, Eric Dampier went up to try and block a Russell Westbrook layup.
In the process Dampier’s finger suffered a severe dislocation (the bone ripped through the skin and he bled, a lot). Dampier was taken to an area hospital, where surgery was performed to repair his hand.
Dampier now will be out indefinitely. He has been battling injuries for much for much of the season, including a knee issue that kept him out for six games in January.
This will move recently-acquired Brendan Haywood into the starting lineup. The move will upgrade the Mavericks starting five but will hurt their depth. That would especially be true if he missed any of the playoffs, where an extra big man will be more than a luxury.
- Three coaches who could replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 0
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 5
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 22
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 11
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 61
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 72
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 23
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 42