Feb 17, 2010, 9:26 AM EDT
With just under three minutes remaining in the Mavericks’ loss to the Thunder Tuesday, Eric Dampier went up to try and block a Russell Westbrook layup.
In the process Dampier’s finger suffered a severe dislocation (the bone ripped through the skin and he bled, a lot). Dampier was taken to an area hospital, where surgery was performed to repair his hand.
Dampier now will be out indefinitely. He has been battling injuries for much for much of the season, including a knee issue that kept him out for six games in January.
This will move recently-acquired Brendan Haywood into the starting lineup. The move will upgrade the Mavericks starting five but will hurt their depth. That would especially be true if he missed any of the playoffs, where an extra big man will be more than a luxury.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 10
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 2
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 2
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 8
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 14
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5