Feb 17, 2010, 9:26 AM EDT
With just under three minutes remaining in the Mavericks’ loss to the Thunder Tuesday, Eric Dampier went up to try and block a Russell Westbrook layup.
In the process Dampier’s finger suffered a severe dislocation (the bone ripped through the skin and he bled, a lot). Dampier was taken to an area hospital, where surgery was performed to repair his hand.
Dampier now will be out indefinitely. He has been battling injuries for much for much of the season, including a knee issue that kept him out for six games in January.
This will move recently-acquired Brendan Haywood into the starting lineup. The move will upgrade the Mavericks starting five but will hurt their depth. That would especially be true if he missed any of the playoffs, where an extra big man will be more than a luxury.
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 0
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 7
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 53
- PBT Podcast: Talking best signings of free agency so far 0
- Report: Pacers agree to four-year, $44 million contract with Monta Ellis 22
- Report: Greg Monroe signing a maximum contract with Bucks 56
- Lakers, Knicks struggle on hectic first day of free agency 64
- Trail Blazers assistant coach: ‘We didn’t publicize it, but we lost LaMarcus Aldridge’ 9