Feb 17, 2010, 9:26 AM EDT
With just under three minutes remaining in the Mavericks’ loss to the Thunder Tuesday, Eric Dampier went up to try and block a Russell Westbrook layup.
In the process Dampier’s finger suffered a severe dislocation (the bone ripped through the skin and he bled, a lot). Dampier was taken to an area hospital, where surgery was performed to repair his hand.
Dampier now will be out indefinitely. He has been battling injuries for much for much of the season, including a knee issue that kept him out for six games in January.
This will move recently-acquired Brendan Haywood into the starting lineup. The move will upgrade the Mavericks starting five but will hurt their depth. That would especially be true if he missed any of the playoffs, where an extra big man will be more than a luxury.
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 0
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 16
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1
- PBT Extra: Injuries make Grizzlies, Trail Blazers series hard to predict 3
- PBT Extra: Will Spurs depth, versatility prove too much for Clippers? 13
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis, Pelicans made playoffs. Will they get a fifth game vs. Warriors? 6
- Rumor: LaMarcus Aldridge more likely to leave Trail Blazers in free agency than people realize 24
- PBT First-Round Playoff Previews: Chicago Bulls vs. Milwaukee Bucks 8