Feb 17, 2010, 9:54 AM EDT
Doc Rivers gave the okay for Sheldon Williams to go on a long vacation over the All-Star break, then fined him for doing so when he got back.
Relax, it’s not like that.
After the Celts lost to New Orleans last Wednesday, Williams traveled to Ekaterinburg, Russia, to see his wife, WNBA star Candace Parker (who is playing there), and 9-month-old daughter, Lailaa.
Williams knew it would be a difficult turnaround, but he got his coach’s blessing.
“I wanted him to (go),” Rivers said. “You’ve got a wife that’s in Russia. Go see her. I told him, ‘Most likely you’ll be late and miss the practice and we’ll take some money from you, but I think that’s what you should do. It’s worth it.’ I knew it would be tight.”
Williams had not seen his family in the new year, and he got two-and-a-half days with them. I’m sure he gladly paid the fine to do so.
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 4
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 27
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 8
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 19
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 22
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 31