Feb 17, 2010, 9:54 AM EST
Doc Rivers gave the okay for Sheldon Williams to go on a long vacation over the All-Star break, then fined him for doing so when he got back.
Relax, it’s not like that.
After the Celts lost to New Orleans last Wednesday, Williams traveled to Ekaterinburg, Russia, to see his wife, WNBA star Candace Parker (who is playing there), and 9-month-old daughter, Lailaa.
Williams knew it would be a difficult turnaround, but he got his coach’s blessing.
“I wanted him to (go),” Rivers said. “You’ve got a wife that’s in Russia. Go see her. I told him, ‘Most likely you’ll be late and miss the practice and we’ll take some money from you, but I think that’s what you should do. It’s worth it.’ I knew it would be tight.”
Williams had not seen his family in the new year, and he got two-and-a-half days with them. I’m sure he gladly paid the fine to do so.
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: Kobe plays pretty well, Suns’ backcourt plays better 0
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat 14
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 25
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark 55
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (55)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)