Feb 17, 2010, 9:54 AM EDT
Doc Rivers gave the okay for Sheldon Williams to go on a long vacation over the All-Star break, then fined him for doing so when he got back.
Relax, it’s not like that.
After the Celts lost to New Orleans last Wednesday, Williams traveled to Ekaterinburg, Russia, to see his wife, WNBA star Candace Parker (who is playing there), and 9-month-old daughter, Lailaa.
Williams knew it would be a difficult turnaround, but he got his coach’s blessing.
“I wanted him to (go),” Rivers said. “You’ve got a wife that’s in Russia. Go see her. I told him, ‘Most likely you’ll be late and miss the practice and we’ll take some money from you, but I think that’s what you should do. It’s worth it.’ I knew it would be tight.”
Williams had not seen his family in the new year, and he got two-and-a-half days with them. I’m sure he gladly paid the fine to do so.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Orlando Magic 3
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 43
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 6
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 9
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11