Feb 17, 2010, 9:54 AM EDT
Doc Rivers gave the okay for Sheldon Williams to go on a long vacation over the All-Star break, then fined him for doing so when he got back.
Relax, it’s not like that.
After the Celts lost to New Orleans last Wednesday, Williams traveled to Ekaterinburg, Russia, to see his wife, WNBA star Candace Parker (who is playing there), and 9-month-old daughter, Lailaa.
Williams knew it would be a difficult turnaround, but he got his coach’s blessing.
“I wanted him to (go),” Rivers said. “You’ve got a wife that’s in Russia. Go see her. I told him, ‘Most likely you’ll be late and miss the practice and we’ll take some money from you, but I think that’s what you should do. It’s worth it.’ I knew it would be tight.”
Williams had not seen his family in the new year, and he got two-and-a-half days with them. I’m sure he gladly paid the fine to do so.
- Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead 1
- Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner 6
- Nets use 18-0 second-half run to secure Game 3 victory over Hawks 6
- Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle fined $25K for publicly criticizing officials after Game 3 loss to Rockets 10
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 8
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 13
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 8
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 17