Feb 17, 2010, 9:54 AM EST
Doc Rivers gave the okay for Sheldon Williams to go on a long vacation over the All-Star break, then fined him for doing so when he got back.
Relax, it’s not like that.
After the Celts lost to New Orleans last Wednesday, Williams traveled to Ekaterinburg, Russia, to see his wife, WNBA star Candace Parker (who is playing there), and 9-month-old daughter, Lailaa.
Williams knew it would be a difficult turnaround, but he got his coach’s blessing.
“I wanted him to (go),” Rivers said. “You’ve got a wife that’s in Russia. Go see her. I told him, ‘Most likely you’ll be late and miss the practice and we’ll take some money from you, but I think that’s what you should do. It’s worth it.’ I knew it would be tight.”
Williams had not seen his family in the new year, and he got two-and-a-half days with them. I’m sure he gladly paid the fine to do so.
- PBT’s Wednesday NBA Winners/Losers: Ettore Messina making history for Spurs 1
- LeBron James, Cavaliers have kind of game they need to replicate blowing out Wizards 5
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 7
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 7
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 11
- Report: Lakers working on a one-year deal with Earl Clark 13
- Tom Thibodeau says Derrick Rose ‘didn’t re-injure himself’ after playing just 10 minutes in loss to Nuggets 20
- Lakers granted $4.85 million disabled-player exception for Steve Nash injury 13