Feb 17, 2010, 9:03 AM EDT
Tracy McGrady is a very popular guy.
While the rumor is the Knicks are close to a deal, the Chicago Bulls are also talking trade with he Rockets.
…The Bulls have offered forward Tyrus Thomas and center Brad Miller, with the teams negotiating a third piece to come close enough to match McGrady’s $22.46 million contract. The Bulls could offer guards John Salmons or Kirk Hinrich, or the expiring contract of Jerome James.
A person with knowledge of the talks said there are ongoing discussions with other teams, that no decisions have been reached about preferences so far and that a decision is unlikely until closer to Thursday’s 2 p.m. (central time) deadline.
Both the Bulls and the Knicks want to go after some big time free agents this summer, so both want to clear out cap space. And nobody clears out cap space like Tracy McGrady. What Houston needs to decide is how much they like Jordan Hill as a prospect versus the talented but enigmatic (and with questionable focus) Tyrus Thomas.
Houston, on the other hand, holds the cards and is in no rush to make its play with 24 hours to go.
- PBT Extra: Are Pacers or Spurs in any trouble in first round? 2
- All PBT’s first round playoff previews in one place 0
- Grizzlies guard Nick Calathes suspended 20 games for violating NBA’s anti-drug policy 17
- Craig Sager has acute leukemia 27
- NBA Playoff Preview: Dallas Mavericks vs. San Antonio Spurs 6