Feb 17, 2010, 9:03 AM EDT
Tracy McGrady is a very popular guy.
While the rumor is the Knicks are close to a deal, the Chicago Bulls are also talking trade with he Rockets.
…The Bulls have offered forward Tyrus Thomas and center Brad Miller, with the teams negotiating a third piece to come close enough to match McGrady’s $22.46 million contract. The Bulls could offer guards John Salmons or Kirk Hinrich, or the expiring contract of Jerome James.
A person with knowledge of the talks said there are ongoing discussions with other teams, that no decisions have been reached about preferences so far and that a decision is unlikely until closer to Thursday’s 2 p.m. (central time) deadline.
Both the Bulls and the Knicks want to go after some big time free agents this summer, so both want to clear out cap space. And nobody clears out cap space like Tracy McGrady. What Houston needs to decide is how much they like Jordan Hill as a prospect versus the talented but enigmatic (and with questionable focus) Tyrus Thomas.
Houston, on the other hand, holds the cards and is in no rush to make its play with 24 hours to go.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 18
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47