Feb 17, 2010, 9:03 AM EDT
Tracy McGrady is a very popular guy.
While the rumor is the Knicks are close to a deal, the Chicago Bulls are also talking trade with he Rockets.
…The Bulls have offered forward Tyrus Thomas and center Brad Miller, with the teams negotiating a third piece to come close enough to match McGrady’s $22.46 million contract. The Bulls could offer guards John Salmons or Kirk Hinrich, or the expiring contract of Jerome James.
A person with knowledge of the talks said there are ongoing discussions with other teams, that no decisions have been reached about preferences so far and that a decision is unlikely until closer to Thursday’s 2 p.m. (central time) deadline.
Both the Bulls and the Knicks want to go after some big time free agents this summer, so both want to clear out cap space. And nobody clears out cap space like Tracy McGrady. What Houston needs to decide is how much they like Jordan Hill as a prospect versus the talented but enigmatic (and with questionable focus) Tyrus Thomas.
Houston, on the other hand, holds the cards and is in no rush to make its play with 24 hours to go.
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 4
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 41
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 29
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3