Feb 17, 2010, 9:03 AM EST
Tracy McGrady is a very popular guy.
While the rumor is the Knicks are close to a deal, the Chicago Bulls are also talking trade with he Rockets.
…The Bulls have offered forward Tyrus Thomas and center Brad Miller, with the teams negotiating a third piece to come close enough to match McGrady’s $22.46 million contract. The Bulls could offer guards John Salmons or Kirk Hinrich, or the expiring contract of Jerome James.
A person with knowledge of the talks said there are ongoing discussions with other teams, that no decisions have been reached about preferences so far and that a decision is unlikely until closer to Thursday’s 2 p.m. (central time) deadline.
Both the Bulls and the Knicks want to go after some big time free agents this summer, so both want to clear out cap space. And nobody clears out cap space like Tracy McGrady. What Houston needs to decide is how much they like Jordan Hill as a prospect versus the talented but enigmatic (and with questionable focus) Tyrus Thomas.
Houston, on the other hand, holds the cards and is in no rush to make its play with 24 hours to go.
- Mike D’Antoni: Chances “pretty good” Kobe plays Sunday… he sold that short 4
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 16
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 17
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 14
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)