Feb 17, 2010, 9:03 AM EDT
Tracy McGrady is a very popular guy.
While the rumor is the Knicks are close to a deal, the Chicago Bulls are also talking trade with he Rockets.
…The Bulls have offered forward Tyrus Thomas and center Brad Miller, with the teams negotiating a third piece to come close enough to match McGrady’s $22.46 million contract. The Bulls could offer guards John Salmons or Kirk Hinrich, or the expiring contract of Jerome James.
A person with knowledge of the talks said there are ongoing discussions with other teams, that no decisions have been reached about preferences so far and that a decision is unlikely until closer to Thursday’s 2 p.m. (central time) deadline.
Both the Bulls and the Knicks want to go after some big time free agents this summer, so both want to clear out cap space. And nobody clears out cap space like Tracy McGrady. What Houston needs to decide is how much they like Jordan Hill as a prospect versus the talented but enigmatic (and with questionable focus) Tyrus Thomas.
Houston, on the other hand, holds the cards and is in no rush to make its play with 24 hours to go.
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Sharks-Kings, Game 4
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury
- PFT: Woodson returns to Raiders for up to $4.3M
- Play Video: Metta World Peace the weatherman
- Play Video: Eastern Conference finals preview
- Play Video: Heat gearing for another physical battle
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars