Feb 16, 2010, 4:20 PM EDT
There are a lot of teams today that want to make a move but can’t simply because of finances. Like your budget at home, if you are going to pay for the NBA League Pass then you have to cut something else out (may we recommend HBO, they’ve lost it since the Sopranos ended).
That’s where the Spurs are. They would love to get in the Tyrus Thomas sweepstakes, but to do that Adrian Wojnarowski reports they first need to find a taker for Antonio McDyess.
The Spurs have been searching for expiring deals to move McDyess, who will make $4.9 million next season and is guaranteed about $2.6 million in 2011-12. Trading McDyess would free minutes and give them greater flexibility to re-sign Thomas this summer if they want. Thomas would give the Spurs a younger, more athletic complement to Tim Duncan, and could be part of a future frontline with former first-round pick Tiago Splitter(notes) and rookie DeJuan Blair.
The Spurs are shopping Roger Mason, who is in the final season of his contract, with the help of Mason’s agent. In addition to Mason, they have a number of other expiring contracts – Michael Finley, Matt Bonner, Ian Mahinmi among them – to possibly offer the Bulls.
Thomas to the Spurs is interesting and makes some sense. But don’t get the cart ahead of the horse (a cliché that is well past its time) — first someone has to take on McDyess. There aren’t a lot of options, maybe the best fit is Denver (which is trying to add another center for depth) but that would mean the Spurs are strengthening the competition heading toward the playoffs.
This is why there are so many rumors and so few deals — every deal has risks and flaws, and general managers try to take only calculated risks. Which is why the Spurs will have a hard time moving McDyess.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 20
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47