Feb 16, 2010, 4:20 PM EST
There are a lot of teams today that want to make a move but can’t simply because of finances. Like your budget at home, if you are going to pay for the NBA League Pass then you have to cut something else out (may we recommend HBO, they’ve lost it since the Sopranos ended).
That’s where the Spurs are. They would love to get in the Tyrus Thomas sweepstakes, but to do that Adrian Wojnarowski reports they first need to find a taker for Antonio McDyess.
The Spurs have been searching for expiring deals to move McDyess, who will make $4.9 million next season and is guaranteed about $2.6 million in 2011-12. Trading McDyess would free minutes and give them greater flexibility to re-sign Thomas this summer if they want. Thomas would give the Spurs a younger, more athletic complement to Tim Duncan, and could be part of a future frontline with former first-round pick Tiago Splitter(notes) and rookie DeJuan Blair.
The Spurs are shopping Roger Mason, who is in the final season of his contract, with the help of Mason’s agent. In addition to Mason, they have a number of other expiring contracts – Michael Finley, Matt Bonner, Ian Mahinmi among them – to possibly offer the Bulls.
Thomas to the Spurs is interesting and makes some sense. But don’t get the cart ahead of the horse (a cliché that is well past its time) — first someone has to take on McDyess. There aren’t a lot of options, maybe the best fit is Denver (which is trying to add another center for depth) but that would mean the Spurs are strengthening the competition heading toward the playoffs.
This is why there are so many rumors and so few deals — every deal has risks and flaws, and general managers try to take only calculated risks. Which is why the Spurs will have a hard time moving McDyess.
- Wesley Matthews’ injury will test Trail Blazers’ spacing 3
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: Nobody can stop E’Twaun Moore; Westbrook’s pretty good, too 10
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 4
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14