Feb 16, 2010, 10:50 PM EDT
UPDATE: Sources from ESPN and others are indicating the Bulls are still in the McGrady talks, and are including a pick in their offer, which could change Houston’s mind on the Knicks’ offer, which doesn’t include a pick until 2012. The Knicks remain the favorite to land McGrady, “probably tomorrow.”
Our long national …mild distraction may be over. Chris Mannix is reporting that the the Rockets and Knicks are finalizing a deal that will send Tracy McGrady to the Knicks in return for Jared Jeffries, Larry Hughes, and rookie forward Jordan Hill.
Mannix reports the deal will also include swapping of picks and that the remaining issues pertain to the protection of those picks.
With McGrady the Knicks get a tiny bit more room this summer and get to see if McGrady has anything left in him. Both Jeffries ($6.4 million with early-termination-option) and Hughes ($13.65 million and change) are expiring contracts, but the Knicks also surrender promising rookie Jordan Hill. The Rockets now have yet another talented forward to plug into their system, providing even more moveable assets, Jeffries who is a capable perimeter defender, and, well, the ghost of Larry Hughes.
McGrady finishes his career with the Rockets under a veil of disappointment. Instead of being the savior for the franchise, he was the remaining totem pole of pre-Morey decision making, when superstars were more important than production. We’ll have to see what the mad genius does with all the room he’s created. The Knicks? Just inching towards a fresh start from their early-decade disasters.
Reclemation is a journey, not a jaunt.
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 17
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 8
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 14
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 6
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 6
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree tears achilles, out six months
- PHT: Canucks reportedly fire Vigneault, assistants