Feb 16, 2010, 1:57 PM EDT
Update 2/16 1:55 pm This trade is official, the Blazers were handing out the perfunctory press release to the media at shoot around today.
Update 2/16 11:54 AM After an initial step-back in terms of the finalization of this deal, Yahoo’s Marc Spears is now reporting that the trade has been completed. The Blazers will also send $3 million in cash considerations to the Clippers.
2/16 2:31 am Ric Bucher of ESPN is reporting that the Portland Trailblazers have traded Steve Blake and Travis Outlaw to the Los Angeles Clippers in exchange for Marcus Camby.
Okay, for Portland it means an absolute homerun. Again. Not only does it provide them with a legitimate big man to take the place of their unfathomably injury-destroyed frontline, but Camby represents a $7.6 million expiring contract. So they get to rent a terrific inside defender and clear up cap space for this summer. Blake was largely a confounding factor in the Blazers’ backcourt logjam. Outlaw had been a solid player for several years for the Blazers, but the move had to be done with the injury situation down low for the Blazers with Greg Oden and Joel Przybilla both out for the season.
For the Clippers? Nearly $9 million in expiring contracts, and no huge loss in personnel with Blake Griffin (hopefully) coming back next season. This was a lost season for the Clippers anyway (a familiar predicament), so the addition of Outlaw and Blake don’t help much.
The next ripple effect, though, may be for Al Thornton, who was rumored to be on the block regardless. Thornton was thought to be expendable before the trade, and now finds himself in a logjam at the wing position, and is a young, talented scorer who is a restricted free agent in the summer of the potential lockout.
We’re just getting started, folks.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 0
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 24
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 18
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 25
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 28
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 38
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 29