Feb 16, 2010, 1:57 PM EST
Update 2/16 1:55 pm This trade is official, the Blazers were handing out the perfunctory press release to the media at shoot around today.
Update 2/16 11:54 AM After an initial step-back in terms of the finalization of this deal, Yahoo’s Marc Spears is now reporting that the trade has been completed. The Blazers will also send $3 million in cash considerations to the Clippers.
2/16 2:31 am Ric Bucher of ESPN is reporting that the Portland Trailblazers have traded Steve Blake and Travis Outlaw to the Los Angeles Clippers in exchange for Marcus Camby.
Okay, for Portland it means an absolute homerun. Again. Not only does it provide them with a legitimate big man to take the place of their unfathomably injury-destroyed frontline, but Camby represents a $7.6 million expiring contract. So they get to rent a terrific inside defender and clear up cap space for this summer. Blake was largely a confounding factor in the Blazers’ backcourt logjam. Outlaw had been a solid player for several years for the Blazers, but the move had to be done with the injury situation down low for the Blazers with Greg Oden and Joel Przybilla both out for the season.
For the Clippers? Nearly $9 million in expiring contracts, and no huge loss in personnel with Blake Griffin (hopefully) coming back next season. This was a lost season for the Clippers anyway (a familiar predicament), so the addition of Outlaw and Blake don’t help much.
The next ripple effect, though, may be for Al Thornton, who was rumored to be on the block regardless. Thornton was thought to be expendable before the trade, and now finds himself in a logjam at the wing position, and is a young, talented scorer who is a restricted free agent in the summer of the potential lockout.
We’re just getting started, folks.
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 16
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 17
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 21
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)