Feb 16, 2010, 1:57 PM EST
Update 2/16 1:55 pm This trade is official, the Blazers were handing out the perfunctory press release to the media at shoot around today.
Update 2/16 11:54 AM After an initial step-back in terms of the finalization of this deal, Yahoo’s Marc Spears is now reporting that the trade has been completed. The Blazers will also send $3 million in cash considerations to the Clippers.
2/16 2:31 am Ric Bucher of ESPN is reporting that the Portland Trailblazers have traded Steve Blake and Travis Outlaw to the Los Angeles Clippers in exchange for Marcus Camby.
Okay, for Portland it means an absolute homerun. Again. Not only does it provide them with a legitimate big man to take the place of their unfathomably injury-destroyed frontline, but Camby represents a $7.6 million expiring contract. So they get to rent a terrific inside defender and clear up cap space for this summer. Blake was largely a confounding factor in the Blazers’ backcourt logjam. Outlaw had been a solid player for several years for the Blazers, but the move had to be done with the injury situation down low for the Blazers with Greg Oden and Joel Przybilla both out for the season.
For the Clippers? Nearly $9 million in expiring contracts, and no huge loss in personnel with Blake Griffin (hopefully) coming back next season. This was a lost season for the Clippers anyway (a familiar predicament), so the addition of Outlaw and Blake don’t help much.
The next ripple effect, though, may be for Al Thornton, who was rumored to be on the block regardless. Thornton was thought to be expendable before the trade, and now finds himself in a logjam at the wing position, and is a young, talented scorer who is a restricted free agent in the summer of the potential lockout.
We’re just getting started, folks.
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 3
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 0
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 26
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 2
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 35
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 9
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 10
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 9